Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet outage

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Plusnet outage

Quote from: Anotherone
Justin7,  Kelly said it was their end but there is evidence around the net that some other services were affected so I think it's all as clear as mud.

What have you seen?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Some 3, EE and T-mobile losing Internet but I don't know for certain it was a related issue but it was the right timeframe. One Plusnet customer posted here that his T-mobile Internet went down at the same time.
AndyH
Grafter

EE/T-Mobile was down due to a fibre cable being cut in London (by mistake I would assume) - http://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Network-Updates/Data-access-for-customers-on-T-Mobile-plans-29-8-14/m-p...
Edit: It looks like the EE/T-Mobile datacentre is in West London (Equinix) - so just a coincidence they had issues at the same time as PN.
zarnywoop
Dabbler

@Jaggies yes tried my plusnet and the bt account same error Can't find PPPoE server.
mantis
Dabbler

still no internet for me in Oxford. Issue escalated to BT openreach so maybe sometime before christmas if i'm lucky Tongue
zarnywoop
Dabbler

So double whammy for me on Friday then as my I use Tmobile for mobile data, at  least thats working now.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

It would be nice if someone from Plusnet could give us some sort of decent understanding of these stale sessions as mentioned here
AndyH
Grafter

I think wildbill has a line fault - assuming he's on ADSL, his line stats should be useful.
As for some of the others - I think (might be completely wrong) it's because the BRAS/MSE hasn't dropped the L2TP tunnel despite the PPP disconnect, so it's not recognising new PPP attempts with the existing tunnel. There should be a timeout (30 mins? 60 mins?) where the tunnel will drop if no new PPP attempts are made.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: Anotherone
It would be nice if someone from Plusnet could give us some sort of decent understanding of these stale sessions as mentioned here

Once I know enough not to mislead, I will.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
wildbill

Quote from: AndyH
I think wildbill has a line fault - assuming he's on ADSL, his line stats should be useful.
As for some of the others - I think (might be completely wrong) it's because the BRAS/MSE hasn't dropped the L2TP tunnel despite the PPP disconnect, so it's not recognising new PPP attempts with the existing tunnel. There should be a timeout (30 mins? 60 mins?) where the tunnel will drop if no new PPP attempts are made.

Are line stats I'm able to get myself? I'm googling how to get them for my TD-W8968 router but haven't found an answer yet. I'm recognising I'm probably going to have to dig out the plusnet router in order to go through the full fault diagnostic process in any case, I just don't have time right now Sad
Edit: Unless these are the stats needed? https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32446521/TD%20W8968.png
AndyH
Grafter

Yep - those are them and they look fine. Is there a router log somewhere in the admin page?
ninjalondon

Like many others, have to say Friday was very annoying - FTTC was connected Friday morning by OR, worked straight away then goes down...so of course I check the modem connections over and over....
Call PlusNet, nice guy on support...check router and reboot as diagnostics are saying I am trying to reconnect using invalid ID and password.
According to Support at the time, there were 2 issues Friday, the first was said to be a wider network problem and the second, a knock on, with PN which prevented users like me authenticating.
At least I had the option of switching back to Virgin - which was kind of ironic as i am switching due to ongoing stability and utilization issues in my area. Now, though, back to monitoring speeds and consistency with PN.
Let's see how it goes.....

Asimy786

I'm still having some problems with mine, it keeps dropping every now and then and i don't feel like waiting an hour on the phone to get through to plusnet customer support.
I have a 3-4mb connection according to plusnet but i only get a 200kbp/s download speed when i download something from steam or origin. Is this normal or has it been capped?
anniesboy
Rising Star

I agree waiting times are too long but at present the waiting time is shown as  6 minutes and 33 seconds
Which is a step in the right direction (assuming this figure is correct)
zarnywoop
Dabbler

has taken me 15 mins to get to speak to someone. Now on hold again while he tests my line 😞
Also took a bit to convince him that the problem I was having wasn't same problem as eveyone else.