cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet or BT, which should I badger to resolve my problem?

patmoreheath
Dabbler

Plusnet or BT, which should I badger to resolve my problem?

I had enjoyed  Smiley  rock-solid download speeds of 4,500 - 5,000 bps for years, as measured using PN's Bandwidth Speed Test.  My line then became very noisy, so much so that voice calls were difficult.  Needless to say my line speed dropped to 1,800 bps.  I reported the fault to BT and after two engineer visits, a piece of equipment in the exchange was identified as faulty and replaced.  The line is no longer noisy but my line speed is 3,000 bps and has been stuck there for over 2 weeks despite daily disconnect/reconnects.  I know that this is still within the range that PN say is 'normal' but I am not getting the service that I know is possible.
I raised a ticket with PN using the broadband check process but have not had any response after 5 days.  Therefore I am seeking advice from you, the PN community, to see who I should pursue to get my line back to normal?
Here are my router stats:
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 4608 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 37.0 db 20.0 db
Noise Margin 14.9 db 22.0 db
For comparison, the raw downstream speed before my line developed the fault was about 6,500.
All help will be much appreciated.
Paul
4 REPLIES 4
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Plusnet or BT, which should I badger to resolve my problem?

The DS noise margin is what is causing the slower speed, probably as a result of you disconnecting too frequently. As a result the exchange thinks your line is bad and has fixed the min SNR at 15dB rather than the normal 6dB with a corresponding decrease in sync rate.
As to how this can be fixed, all you can do is wait for PN to respond to your ticket and see if they can get the SNR reset - if they can, don't disconnect your router or the same thing will happen.
The exchange will often see frequent disconnects as a problem line and raise the min SNR to try and 'fix' it to make it more stable. One of the many flaws with BT's implementation of ADSL!
This is a BT problem but to fix it you have to go through PlusNet as your broadband provider.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi patmoreheath,
It looks like this has been picked up by our faults team this morning. What Peter said is spot on and if the line does remain stable then we could possible look at resetting the SNR.
Jojo Smiley
patmoreheath
Dabbler

Isn't it funny how 30 minutes after my post, my ticket gets a response.  Wink    The comprehensive report from PN Support showed that after my initial line problem had been fixed, my service had been disconnected every day.  That was me because of the advice I had read in PN's broadband speed guide:
You can help the testing process by rebooting your router (switch it off and on again) three or four times over the first 10 days. You'll get better results if you can do this in the morning.

So I will take Peter and Joanne's advice (thanks!), together with the advice from PN support in response to my ticket, and leave the router alone for a few days to see if things come back to normal.
Thanks all.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI patmoreheath,
Isn't it funny how 30 minutes after my post, my ticket gets a response

Just a happy coincidence Wink
Jojo Smiley