cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet offers estimated just 1mbps, TalkTalk provides 3.5mbps - dare I switch?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Plusnet offers estimated just 1mbps, TalkTalk provides 3.5mbps - dare I switch?

Hi Puzzledoff,
Welcome aboard.  Good to hear that the speed is close to what you were getting with Talk Talk.  As ejs asked, please post your router stats and the other information referenced in the speed issues link below.  We can then take a look and see if your line is delivering its full potential.
As for price changes next year / end of contract, well that's a matter for the future... At which time, contact retentions and see if they can find a deal which entices you to stay.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: Plusnet offers estimated just 1mbps, TalkTalk provides 3.5mbps - dare I switch?

I'm pleased to see you haven't lost much speed.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
puzzledoff
Grafter

Quote from: Townman
Hi Puzzledoff,
Welcome aboard.  Good to hear that the speed is close to what you were getting with Talk Talk.  As ejs asked, please post your router stats and the other information referenced in the speed issues link below.  We can then take a look and see if your line is delivering its full potential.
As for price changes next year / end of contract, well that's a matter for the future... At which time, contact retentions and see if they can find a deal which entices you to stay.

Thanks - as requested:
Type Fast Path
Status SHOWTIME
                                                                      Downstream                     Upstream

Data rate(Kbps)                                         4084Kb                                 784Kb

Noise Margin                                               6                                       7

Output power(dBm)                                     128                                     182

Attenuation(dB)                                               66                                      30

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

That is displaying a very high downstream attenuation value, it seems almost impossibly high considering the speed. But that in itself shouldn't be a problem, and if you're satisfied with the speed you could ignore it.
puzzledoff
Grafter

Quote from: ejs
That is displaying a very high downstream attenuation value, it seems almost impossibly high considering the speed. But that in itself shouldn't be a problem, and if you're satisfied with the speed you could ignore it.

Thanks.  I won't pretend that I understand that, but given that I'm more than 2.5 miles from the exchange I'm probably doing as well as can be expected.  Probably better, in fact!  Fibre would be the solution, but it's more than I want to spend.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The attenuation displayed was 53 from your previous stats, it's now displaying 66. The attenuation generally indicates the length of your line back to the exchange - longer lines have greater attenuation - but your house hasn't moved any further away from the exchange!
puzzledoff
Grafter

Not sure whether it's relevant, but I slightly overestimated the speed.  It's currently: 3.20 Mb/s 0.68 Mb/s 14 ms
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

I guess that is a data speed test report.  They report different figures to the actual synch speed which always has to be the start point.
Do you have another router you can try.  As ejs has observed, the router has reported markedly different line attenuation figures, which U.S. a bit worrying.  The earlier 53db is right for your stated distance from the exchange and of the right order for the reported synch speeds.  66dB is plain wrong for both the distance (it implies 4.8km / 3 miles) and the current synch speed.  It might therefore point to an iffy router.
You can check your distance to the exchange here - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php
The line profile (data speed limit) is 88.2% of the synch speed.  Generally data speed tests come in at a slightly lower level.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.