Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet line profile dynamics.

nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

Plusnet line profile dynamics.

Question for a PN techie...   I, and it looks like quite a few other people, have been experiencing a mismatch between the PN line profile and BT's line profile. I was under the impression that the PN profile should follow and match the BT profile in real time, but it obviously doesn't.
Question is..  why not? What causes the PN profile to lose contact with the BT one? And is it happening more recently that before?
17 REPLIES 17
ckcomputing
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Plusnet line profile dynamics.

Good question - this is something I would like answered as well.
Professionals are predictable - it's the amateurs that are dangerous!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Question is..  why not? What causes the PN profile to lose contact with the BT one?

I may need into this further but I'm sure our profiles don't update to match the BT one sin real-time.
As for what might cause it to fail, one possibility would be us not receiving the relevant reports from BT or our systems not processing them correctly.
And is it happening more recently that before?

Do you mean is it happening more frequently than before? If so I don't believe so, I'm aware that a few of you have been posting about this but I've not personally noticed that happening more than usual.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
nozzer
Hero

Yes, more often, and more in the recent past.
If the profiles don't update in real time then some kind of update sequence must run at regular intervals (once, twice daily?). I would have thought that if the BT speedtester successfully reports a line profile then it is, at least, available for PN to use?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The profile on the speedtester is from a separate system to the one that sends us the delta reports we use for the line profile. The main issue recently has been the part implementation of the 88.2% method (see the thread about this), basically the BT Speedtest is reporting non rounded profiles but the profiles we get sent are still in a rounded format. Hopefully we'll see an improvement when the rest of the changes roll out on the 12th December.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MrT
Grafter

My experience is that falls in BT profile are reflected very quickly on PN systems. Increases in BT profile seem to take much longer and sometimes never happen at all without manual intervention. Roll on the glorious 12th!!  Smiley
nozzer
Hero

Ditto!  Cheesy
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Are these changes on 12th December going to help FTTC lines? It seems that, once the Plusnet profile is reduced for any reason it never goes back up to the maximum setting of 37Mb (corresponding to a BT profile of 38717kb) without manual intervention. This has now happened to me three times (another ticket currently open to get it fixed).
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi KevinG,
As far as I'm aware it's not the same on fibre, as fibre works on banded profiles and react differently to speed changes.
Jojo Smiley
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Joanne
Hi KevinG,
As far as I'm aware it's not the same on fibre, as fibre works on banded profiles and react differently to speed changes.
Jojo Smiley
Thanks for the reply Jojo, still puzzled about why my PN profile gets reduced whenever there is a glitch in the BT profile but never seems to go back up again until I ask. Mine has now been reset to 37Mb (ticket 48869645) with the comment "If this happens again please alert us and we will look into this further."
bsanotrun
Grafter

Quote from: MrT
My experience is that falls in BT profile are reflected very quickly on PN systems.

Thats how it appears to me as well, but then with me it will not go above the speed shown on the BT website as your estimated postcode/line speed. even though i get an IP profile 50% more then that.
I bought a 2wire router at a boot sale sunday for 50p plugged it in and set it up for plusnet and it did connect, but was obviously faulty, it only connected at 0.25Kb, bang went my IP profile, but later recovered to normal.
Next day plusnet line speed had recovered to 4Mb which is the BT estimate as above, but had to ask to have it altered to match my normal BT IP profile.
roll on the 12th Smiley
mike
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Mike,
My feeling is that yours would have picked up but would have taken just a bit longer.
Jojo Smiley
ffox
Pro

Hi Jojo
As you know, I've recently had the same experience as Kevin G (I'm  on FTTC).   I had a  voice line fault in September which didn't affect the broadband.  The line was cut and repaired;  I ran the  BT speedtest later that day and was relieved to see that the profile was still 38717.   However, my Plusnet line speed had dropped from 37 Mb to 35 Mb.   I didn't  attach any significance to this until recently when I noticed it was still down at 35Mb.  You kindly got it back up to 37Mb for me. Smiley
Everybody's experience seems to indicate that Plusnet are not always responding to line speed increases.  It should be done automatically and promptly rather than you having to do it manually following a request in this forum.
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Quote from: ffox
Everybody's experience seems to indicate that Plusnet are not always responding to line speed increases.  It should be done automatically and promptly rather than you having to do it manually following a request in this forum.

I don't think it really is PlusNet at fault, they're just going on what they get from BTw. The issue is more than likely at BTw's door (setting up the new system but not rolling it out to other ISPs yet, has caused some delta reports to fail in updating automatically).
That's RPM to you!!
nozzer
Hero

You see, we're all still guessing!
There are obviously quite a few people with profile mis-matches that require manual tweaking; if PN knows that this is happening and the reason why, wouldn't it be wise to just tell everyone that there's a risk of a mis-match occurring and that hopefully it will be fixed fairly soon?