Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet fibre wireless speeds

FIXED
Timalay
Grafter

Plusnet fibre wireless speeds

I seem to having a problem with Plusnet fibre over wireless (it seems fine wired).  I am getting very slow speeds over the wireless connection (it fine wired).
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=136168822582319933534
It only started to seem to happen yesterday.
My router is the technicolor tg582n.
Any help guys.  Sad  
4 REPLIES 4
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Plusnet fibre wireless speeds

Fix
Good Morning Timalay,
Sorry to hear that you're having some issues with the speed of the connection via Wi-FI. I would first of all advise you to change the wireless signal the router is working on. To do this you will need to enter the router configuration pages. You can do this by clicking on http://192.168.1.254 - You may be then asked to enter a user name and password to enter the Technicolor Gateway. The user name will be "admin" and the password is the serial number (beginning CP) located on the bottom of your router. The password is case sensitive so you will need to use capitals where appropriate.
Locate the option on the left hand side "Home Network" and click this. You will then need to select the wireless option (Usually says WLAN: PlusnetWirelesXXXXX) and click "configure" on the top right hand side of the page. Then select the "channel selection" option and change this from Automatic to Manual. You can then select the wireless channel. The only channels you should try are 1, 6 and 11 as these are the only ones that don't overlap with any other channel ranges. Once you have changed the wireless channel you will need to click apply, to apply these changes.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Matt
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Mattz0r
The only channels you should try are 1, 6 and 11 as these are the only ones that don't overlap with any other channel ranges.

Not sure that is precise enough - "do not overlap each other". The least overlap is probably 13 (not all units allow it) and then 1 Wink
If you run Microsoft Windows, you should download and run inssider. That will show you the channels in use, the number of signals (SSIDs) on each channel and the strengths of the channels at your client (laptop etc) location ("smaller" is "stronger" as it's negative Shocked ). That should help you to choose a channel - though they may not all be operating at the time! The graphics will show a "real time" display of the channels and strength variations.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
HNKS
Grafter

My advice would be to either buy power line adapters or a new router because the one plusnet supplies is awful for wifi. Ive tried every wireless channel and everyone has given me inconsistent results. Not worth the hassel.
Timalay
Grafter

Well changed it to Channel 6, and it seemed to help (touch wood).  Thanks Mattz0r.