cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet fibre optic upload speeds

paqize
Grafter

Plusnet fibre optic upload speeds

What kind of upload speeds can be expected from Plusnet fibre optic broadband? I know it depends on where you live and all that, so just tell me whats the max that is available.
26 REPLIES 26
phil4
Grafter

Re: Plusnet fibre optic upload speeds

At the present time PN products have a maximum of 2Mb/s.
This may change in the future.  I don't work for plus net or know anything special... Just repeating what has been posted previously.
paqize
Grafter

ok thanks for the info...
knowdice
Rising Star

I believe the raw sync speed for FTTC is "up to" 40mbs down and "up to"  up 10mbs
Those on the Plusnet FTTC trial were allowed to have "up to" 10mbs upload...
phil4
Grafter

It is and they did, but the current products that can be ordered are all unto 2Mbps upload.
stephenw10
Rising Star

Interesting. I recently had my upsteam speed uncapped on ADSL2+ and now get ~1.2Mb/s. However when I spoke to Plusnet to get this done I was told that if I switched to FTTC I could get 10Mb/s upstream.
Steve
phil4
Grafter

Hehehe, are you sure they didn't say "up to 10Mb/s"?  'cause 2Mb/s is definitely upto 10.
As mentioned around here recently by JoJo, 2Mb/s is all that's on offer at present, so perhaps a poorly informed CS agent.
Frogger
Grafter

Quote from: phil4
Hehehe, are you sure they didn't say "up to 10Mb/s"?  'cause 2Mb/s is definitely upto 10.
As mentioned around here recently by JoJo, 2Mb/s is all that's on offer at present, so perhaps a poorly informed CS agent.

I think "perhaps a poorly informed CS agent" is likely, when I made enquiries about a fibre upgrade, I received, in writing, a note saying:
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated downstream line speed of 27.7 Mbps and upstream line speed of 5.9 Mbps

Of course, I only get less than 2Mbps Upstream, but not a big issue for me personally due to the poor ADSL+ service I had. I guess they just take the BT tester results and paste, without considering Plusnet's product limitations.
Colin
phil4
Grafter

Yep, looks like that's exactly what they did.  A bit silly if you ask me.
paqize
Grafter

Just looked at the FAQ and here is what's writen:
As a trialist, I get 10Mbps upload speeds, will you be reducing this to 2Mbps?
No, as a trialist your upload speed will remain as it is.
So does this mean that the upload speed will be 2Mbps or 10Mbps? Crazy
I'd upgrade right now if they offer 10Mbps upload speed...
How to find out if my area supports fiber optic?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

All new FTTC orders are provisioned at 2Mbs upload - as detailed in the FTTC product specs. It is only those who were part of the trial, who were provisioned on upto 10Mbs upload, who will remain on that speed.
There is currently no residential fibre product that Plusnet offers that has 10Mbs upload speeds.
You need to check the BT broadband availability checker page, or www.samknows.com may also tell you
paqize
Grafter

thanks for the info but it looks like i cannot get FTTC in my area until september 2011.
paqize
Grafter

anyone know if the extra broadband offers better upload speed than value?
phil4
Grafter

Not to my knowledge.
stephenw10
Rising Star

My neighbour has BT Infinity and gets around 1.6Mb/s (on speedtest) so I guess that's their up to 2Mb/s service. It hardly seems worth upgrading from my 1.2Mb/s U/S and 20Mb/s D/S on adsl2. How often am I going to need (up to!) 40Mb/s?
Steve