cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet fibre = Wiring mess?

OZ
Grafter

Plusnet fibre = Wiring mess?

Currently with Sky Broadband Unlimited. Just in the process of switching to Plusnet.
Current setup is this:
Phone socket -> DSL Filter -> 10m "ADSL2+ high speed" extension cable -> Sky Router.
We have run the cable under the floor boards so it's hidden from sight. Currently receive max internet speed (from our area; 8.1mbit). When you enter the living room, everything looks nice and clean and not a wire in sight.
Would I be able to use this extension cable for the BT Openreach modem which connects to the phone socket, or is it simply not possible? What would happen if I did use it?
31 REPLIES 31
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Plusnet fibre = Wiring mess?

I wouldn't advise it all. The cable pair twists (if it is twisted and not just screened) and capacitance will not necessarily be very good for vDSL.
Can you get up the floor boards easily? The engineer can put in a Data extension cable with an RJ11 socket at the location you want (if less than 30m away).
Do you have a power socket near the master socket? as the other option is the BT Modem would be mounted on the wall next to the master socket and you can run a 10m Ethernet cable from the Modem to your Router.
OZ
Grafter

I was hoping to avoid that as it would show wires across the living room. Flooring is set in place. No way to access it I'm afraid.
Yes, we have a power socket near the master socket.
The only alternative I can think of is a 50m CAT6 ethernet cable routed around the house from the BT Open Reach Modem to the plusnet modem.
Would that result in a drop in internet speeds?
my53rdchoice
Grafter

can you not reuse the old cable to lay the new one?
On mine I laid the underfloor cable for the BT engineer whilst he was there and then he wired it up at both ends.
Tape the new cable to the old one and pull it through as you pull out the old cable
I left my old cable in situ and had prepared the install by laying string to use to pull the cable through when the engineer turned up
Anotherone
Champion

You can use very long lengths of Cat6 between the Modem and the Router (I guess you meant Plusnet Router) 50m will be fine. Not sure what the upper limit is without looking it up, but it's in excess of 100m IIRC.
I was also going to suggest  - could you use the existing cable to pull through a new one?
But here is a better idea.
Taking a note of what I said in my earlier reply, if you get a decent engineer, he could check the speeds at the master socket having fitted the vDSL Interstitial Filter, you could then plug in your existing cable and take the Modem to the other end and check the speeds again. You could be lucky and it's certainly worth trying. If the engineer isn't co-operative you could just get him to install it of the end of your existing cable and do your own checks later and move it yourself if need be. Make sure he leaves you with the original Modem to Socket lead though.
OZ
Grafter

No chance of replacing said cable unfortunately.
Okay, I'll bear that in mind.
oldgeezer
Grafter

Quote from: OZ

Would I be able to use this extension cable for the BT Openreach modem which connects to the phone socket, or is it simply not possible? What would happen if I did use it?

If it's the same "ADSL2+ high speed" 10 metre extension cable as I have, the one with foil shield and tinned copper braid I don't think you will have a problem. I've used it in two ways, as a straight forward ADSL extension in which case it gave identical results whichever end of the cable run the router was connected, and also as a 2 pair cat5e ethernet cable when it connected at  the max 100 Mb/s for 2 pairs.  The cable is made to cat5e spec with tight but slightly different pair twists. My cable too, is run in the sub floor void and inaccessible under fitted carpets.
I now have the router at the far end of the cable again and get a sync speed of circa 8000 kb/s at a distance of 3.5 Km from the exchange 'so I'm quite happy.
picbits
Rising Star

Some people have advised to stay clear of the shielded twisted pair cables as they can attenuate the FTTC signal from the VDSL faceplate to the router. I've just used normal CAT5e cable to reposition my modem and it works a treat. The shielded cables seem ok for ADSL though.
It might be worth doing a little more investigation before permanently fixing anything with shielded cable.
OZ
Grafter

Quote from: picbits
Some people have advised to stay clear of the shielded twisted pair cables as they can attenuate the FTTC signal from the VDSL faceplate to the router. I've just used normal CAT5e cable to reposition my modem and it works a treat. The shielded cables seem ok for ADSL though.
It might be worth doing a little more investigation before permanently fixing anything with shielded cable.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Speed-Ethernet-Broadband-Modem-Cable/dp/B003OSWP1W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=13...
This is the cable.
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could use mains homeplugs to make the network link between modem and router.
http://www.devolo.co.uk/consumer/82_dlan-500-avplus_starter-kit_product-presentation_1.html?l=en
OZ
Grafter

This is likely to drastically affect the speeds. Moreso than a bit of extended cable, no?
adie:quote
Anotherone
Champion

Why should they affect the speeds, they seem to be specced at 500Mbps (that might be 250 each way, I haven't looked in detail) are you expecting more than 80Mbs form your FTTC connection?
As far as your existing cable goes, according to the description, it could be fine. But as I implied earlier, it's a case of suck it and see.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: OZ

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Speed-Ethernet-Broadband-Modem-Cable/dp/B003OSWP1W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=13...
This is the cable.

I would be happy to use that, looks better than what BT use.
The wire BT use to install a extension VDSL socket is flat, very much doubt that's twisted pairs.
Anotherone
Champion

It bloody well ought to be, it's supposed to be a higher spec than CW1308 and someone told me it was Cat5e spec. but only 2 pair, but several people have reported no problems with CW1308, personally I'd want the BT spec. Did you have one of these cowboy installers?
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

No, I had four of them before they got it working, over a two week period IIRC.
Since I've had another four actual BT technicians to try and get my upstream sync better than 0.6mbps. No success yet.  Undecided