cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet fiber & home hosting

andres

Plusnet fiber & home hosting

Hi,
I have had servers with a number of hosting providers for the past years, but I was now considering to get plusnet fiber and do home hosting.
I am not hosting many web sites - and the traffic is below 120GB/month.
My concern is not the speed or the bandwidth, but:
1) Connection reliability - as a ADSL user sometimes the connection is off even for several hours in a row. Should I expect something similar in the fiber?
2) Can I install my mail & web servers or is it against the terms of service?
Can anyone advise? Has anyone done it?
Thanks in advance,
  Andres
6 REPLIES 6
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Plusnet fiber & home hosting

My Fibre connection has been far more stable than I ever had with ADSL, although it really depends on your distance from the green cabinet and line quality. I was over 5KM from the exchange so speed was very slow.
You can host any of your own servers, although if you have a residential account, you should not* be hosting business servers - i.e. email / website for your business.
* Although people with small businesses do if they predominantly use the broadband connection for home use.
Plusnet place not restriction on what you can host - i.e. they don't block any ports - as long as it fits within the terms and conditions of your product.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

My FTTC connection is also significantly more stable than my previous ADSL, obviously problems may occur but the FTTC technology does seem quite robust.
I'm about 450m line length from my cabinet and 30 days continuous uptime* is quite normal with resyncs also being very quick.
* would possibly be a lot longer if I didn't occasionally reboot my router.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Unless your total usage (upload and download) is well below 120GB I would be wary as it is very expensive going over the limit
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Don't forget that if visitors find your website has become faster, usage may go up!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
andres

Thanks all for your replies. Final question: what about the equipment? Is the free router coming with Plusnet enough or should I get something else?
I don't mind spending some money for a good router if it's needed.
A dedicated server is anyway in the region of 1,200 pounds/year.
Thanks,
    Andres
lorisarvendu
Grafter

The free router has a fairly basic firewall on it, if that's of any interest.  Also my previous ADSL router had much more sophisticated port forwarding than the PN supplied one, and linked it in with the firewall. So I could open ports but restrict them to specific external IP addresses (I frequently VNC and SSH in from work). The PN one doesn't do that, so if you open up a port it allows unrestricted access to all traffic and you will have to rely on just your server firewalls rather than the router as well. 
Just a thought if you want to do remote admin of your servers. Although all my PCs have decent firewalls it still bugs me when I see in the router logs that some git's been trying to get in, and the router has just happily passed them through.
-Dave
A tortoise? What's that?
You know what a turtle is? Same thing.