cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet don't help with FTTC issues? what?

picbits
Rising Star

Re: Plusnet don't help with FTTC issues? what?

Quote from: inhost
I dont have a static,

For the sake of a one off payment of a fiver, it's handy to get onto a static IP with FTTC and set up the monitoring - my graphs show me when anything nasty has happened (i.e. been under attack) or when my modem or router have thrown a wobbly.
I had so many issues - (many I hadn't noticed as it happened during the night) that I looked further into the issues I had and traced it down to my aftermarket router - I put on DD-WRT instead of the default routers firmware and it has been rock solid since with only the smallest of interruptions indicated by my ping graph.
Anyway - I'm waffling now - good luck with getting it sorted Smiley
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
In all honesty I don't believe this is related to the cab at all, simply due to the fact that you had this issue with your ADSL service and your current FTTC service is served by a different cab.

How so Adam?
Unless there's something very  unusual about this FTTC provision, the connection still goes through (and is connected at) the original cabinet (PCP).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
knowdice
Rising Star

That's the way I saw it...
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@w23
Unless there's something very  unusual about this FTTC provision, the connection still goes through (and is connected at) the original cabinet (PCP).

Nothing unusual here. The line shouldn't be routed through the original cab at all, FTTC installations involve the copper pairs being moved to the FTTC cabs which are you may have noticed are usually installed right next to the existing ones so there'd be no point routing from one cab to another that's usually right next to it.
I really don't want to stick my neck out and to hazard a guess as to what's causing this as we're going through the faults process for that, however I think the cabling between the premises and cab is something that I'd like to be looked at.
How are things with the connection from your point of view at present inhost?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Adam - I believe your description is incorrect...
For ADSL the exchange line is jumpered to the house line in the PCP.  For FTTC there are tielines between the PCP and the FTTC cabinet and the new routing becomes -
Exchange line>PCP>FTTC Cabinet>PCP>House line
The house line is not 'moved'...
knowdice
Rising Star

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_

Nothing unusual here. The line shouldn't be routed through the original cab at all, FTTC installations involve the copper pairs being moved to the FTTC cabs which are you may have noticed are usually installed right next to the existing ones so there'd be no point routing from one cab to another that's usually right next to it.

Are you sure?
I'm not an expert specifically in telecoms, but know how Krone systems usually work. The line (copper) that comes from the house to the first cabinet would be a fixed installation and I really would have expected this to be jumpered across to Krones that feed the FTTC cabinet and then back again.
If BT are lifting these "fixed" installed cables then I'm not surprised that there could be connection problems, but would expect it to affect the voice band as well.
But then again I'm probably wrong  Embarrassed
pwatson
Rising Star

Useful video here:

Possible training material for PN staff?  Smiley
inhost
Grafter

The cabling inside and out has been replaced during one of the previous visits, I even agreed to sacrifice the phone upstairs to rule out any interference and the BT guy cut out those cables.
I would be very surprised if it is the wires to the can as this issue would have been present on Orange ADSL too and it was not.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

the line card in the exchange would of changed when moving from one isp to another, incorrect seating/cable tension/dodgy hardware (line card) would all be a possible issue, (at the exchange) the old cab >new cab could be the problem point (particularly if instead of upgrading connectivity for all lines in the pcp they just supply 50% capability (which is normally the maximum initial cab provision) and then jumper the lines on an as required basis to provide the fttc, that in and of itself could also be causing problem (pcp>fttc unit) again cable's being damaged or connectors being over stressed (which would also fit with it being intermittent and "curing itself after some time") not to mention the fact that clearly the engineers have been shortcutting install procedure for new fttc connections at that cab as well (because if they followed procedure they would not interrupt an existing connection when adding a new one) as most likely at the old cab doing the same cowboy style actions (stressing and forcing things to provide access rather than correctly spending the extra 15 minutes unclipping and reclipping at the end of the process  as required to provide access.
so many problem points that rather than being a single cause more likely that it will be down to multiple causes....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks for the video pwatson, in that case I stand corrected and stand above the person I asked for advice on that point whilst cracking my knuckles Wink
How's things going with your connection at the moment inhost?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
nanotm
Pro

fair one,
then again why would you believe any different than you did, it defies all logic that BT have chosen to add even more expensive copper into the whole network along with adding the fibre.
I suspect the only reason anyone knows what there actually doing in terms of shunting new into old cct at the pcp is that they have had cause to find out (grilled a BT engineer/done some heavy research) and generally that is because of a fault problem...
also BT's own reps don't even know what it is there deployment teams are doing or why
and a tiny titbit, the fibre dslams are capable of being remotely operated but BT don't know if they can trust the manufacturers not to put a back door in them so they have made them local /physical access only Grin
SuperZoom
Grafter

Quote from: nanotm
it defies all logic

I love the charming notion of a £27bn FTSE100 company being run by a bunch of pig-headed ex-Welsh cotton growers recently released from an asylum and promoted way beyond their abilities. Fanciful though it is.
pwatson
Rising Star

Quote from: nanotm
it defies all logic that BT have chosen to add even more expensive copper into the whole network along with adding the fibre.

Now think it through...  The method of enabling VDSL on a line is sensible and perfectly logical.
nanotm
Pro

it only makes sense if they have zero faith in the equipment there implementing
it would cost them far less in terms of upgrading the entire system if they had replaced all the old copper with fibre links, meaning everything between the exchange and the cab could of been removed, it would of meant a few  minutes of disruption to each customer as the work was done but for some crazy reason they have chosen to do things in a really long winded doubly expensive fashion, not that i'm particularly surprised about it
fibre optic connections become opaque to light when subjected to ionising radiation (which means background radiation will degrade the lines over time until they eventually stop passing the light signals) 
so there going to be replacing fibre lines a lot more often than copper, but why did they choose to go with fibre in the first place, it would of made more sense to utilise Ethernet and provide up to gigabit speeds over the coming years for everyone,
but instead they went with some crazy fall back solution knowing full well that it will all need replacing within 10>20 years and by then it will be even more difficult to obtain permission to do it and require far more public money to be wasted on it ....

@super there nationality or heritage has nothing to do with the fact they clearly were smoking something when the board signed  off on this steaming pile of ******, nobody who wasn't trying to con investors out of more money in the share price bottom line would of delivered the rollout, they should of pulled out of fibre research 15 years ago and gone down the fire wire/thunderbolt evolution but they just kept throwing money at the problem without  any real-world results (other than proving that radon gas is ionising and takes less than a month to completely white out the fibre links no matter how much shielding you put on that stuff, even better granite gives off radon in high enough amounts to cause the same problem so large chunks of the retail market are unable to get useable fibre connections anyway as there is no suitable way of avoiding the granite, so to get round the problem they use cat6e cabling.....
pwatson
Rising Star

Post deleted