Did you mean: 

Plusnet broadband unlimited keeps dropping out this afternoon

FIXED
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Plusnet broadband unlimited keeps dropping out this afternoon

Okay no problem, I've arranged the engineer visit for Friday 21st October 8am to 1pm.

Let me know how it goes. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
simonc2
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Engineer visted this morning and tested wiring through the house but could find no explanation for the drop-outs inside the house - all his tests gave same results (signal speed etc) whether at the test socket or at the router at the end of a daisy-chain of extension sockets.

He said he'd go to the exchange and check the jumpers. As we have one of the older lines it was possible that our connectors were at the bottom of a mass of newer connections and could have become dislodged.

I suppose it's Sod's Law that there were no drop-outs during his visit!

simonc2
Rising Star

Problem is clearly not sorted:

RSHub-NoiseMargin-20221021-150947.jpg

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Very obviously.

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@simonc2 

Do you have an overhead or underground phone line feed? If overhead is it very windy today where you are?

I would imagine the landline phone would be noisy as well?

Dan 

simonc2
Rising Star

The cable is overhead - from a pole in the road to the front of the house, but it's not especially windy today, and I don't think it's been any windier after lunch than when the engineer was here this morning and he didn't comment on any line problems.

I didn't check the phone line for crackles during the period of drop-outs.

The line has been stable and giving good speeds since about 15:10 this afternoon - the Router uptime is showing 1hr 7min now.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @simonc2,

I hope you're having a good weekend so far! I'm just checking back in as our suppliers believe that the fault has now been resolved - how are things looking on your end?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
simonc2
Rising Star

Hi @TheMightyAJ 

The engineer didn't find anything wrong in the house but said he'd check the exchange. Plusnet called me later to say he'd attached our line to different connectors and that seemed to be the required fix. In the couple of hours after the rewiring the connection was all over the place (see my post above from 1510 hrs on Friday) but apparently that's a normal occurrence when something gets rewired, and since then it's been mostly very stable, (although RouterStatsHub captured a dropout for about 3mins on Friday at about 1740).

I wasn't monitoring the connection over the weekend, but this morning the uptime is showing at 18 hours, so that would imply an interruption around 1600 hrs yesterday when there were thunderstorms overhead which might have caused a problem. It looks stable at the moment but I'll keep an eye on it.

I felt it was a bit hasty of Plusnet to close the fault report without waiting a little bit longer to check that their fix had really solved the problem!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

Hi @simonc2,

I'm glad to see that the engineer's efforts have sorted your connection for you and apologies for closing your ticket without a period of monitoring. We can always create a new ticket though if problems resurface. 

Let me know if there's anything else you need help with. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
simonc2
Rising Star

@Gandalf @TheMightyAJ @Dan_the_Van @jab1 @RealAleMadrid 

Happily the connection seems very good now, and the router is showing an almost unbelievable uptime of 2 days 1 hour 46 min!

I'd like to say a million thanks to all the people who have offered suggestions and support during the process of getting this sorted. I don't think I'd ever have managed any sort of resolution without you!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Awesome, that's what I like to see and no problem at all, happy to help in any way we can Simon. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet