cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet broadband service

dangerm50
Hooked

Plusnet broadband service

Ok for three years I was singing PlusNet praises on forums and different sites for those who talk of poor service and bad customer service. I had found for three years I had excellent support when I had a question and if I had a issue it was fixed asap not that I had many problems over that time

From day one I was connected to a 4.76mb connection and loved it great speed since I was a slight distance from exchange but happy it did what I needed. Infact got friends and families to sign up and vouched for excellence.

Even pointed my brother to a job with PlusNet and he has been there three years.

But on March 5 2016  I decided to call PlusNet to renegotiate a contact so could take another deal of 18 month free broadband and just pay line rental and anytime calls. The person assured me speed wont change and would send out a new modem that will increase my speed slightly as it was a good modem.

Signed straightaway and the next day modem turned up I could be more happier 

Plugged it in and waited for turn on and then after a few hours speed test Straight away to was 3.46mb Huh 5 mins before 4.71mb

Went on line to chat and they advised to wait 14 days for it to build up again assure me it would as I just swapped old modem for new one.

So checked each day and still same speed didn't go up at all 14 days the online person reset my snr ?? strange they think that wold help as my signal to noise ration as always been perfect enough to have a balanced speed. Now this didn't improve either over the course of 30 days the online call help reset my snr three times sorry 4 times !! So plugged in old modem as per suggestion off PlusNet help desk.

My speed is still 3.46mb called and said to do all the checks plugged in to master socket I did all this for 14 days still same test . The line is fine no noise on it no interruptions and my modem wasn't near anything electrical.

They then said exact quote "oh well since its between 1mb to 4mb its not a issue....."

But it is when I had a 4.76mb connection for three years and documented even the day before I swapped modems over ..As per attached document shows

So what did PlusNet do when I resigned for a new contract what was changed to cause this drop and why wont it be fixed back to what it was.

Is it possible diagnosing an authentication problem with my router as the reason for my low speeds. Since plugging new modem I had to physically enter my details as it would do so when it tried to sync  so put my account name and password in it Any guidance out there Because for three years perfect service now not so much since beginning of march

even tried a bt hub 5 modem no difference other  than it automatically restarted every two days

Old one working perfectly as always just speed is unacceptable to me after three years with a good 4.76mb

6 REPLIES 6
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Plusnet broadband service

Hi there,

I've been running diagnostics against your connection which haven't identified any issues at all.

To be frank about it there isn't anything we can do unfortunately as your line is performing well above the estimate of 2.5mbps

With regards to SNR, sometimes resets fail to process which may have happened in your case. The downstream SNR is at 6db at present which looks to be the optimum for your line. We can try resetting that to 3db but there's a good chance you might start to see some disconnections ocurr.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
dangerm50
Hooked

Thank you for an attempt to look at issue Sorry but you have just given the PlusNet standard answer which doesn't address  after a constant 3 years 4.76mb every day I signed over new contract my speed dropped to 3.46mb And even though parrot fashion you mention within parameters is a indicator that PlusNet or dropping peoples speed for a reason

I was in IT for 33 years and worked with BT as well

Thank you but you are going to get a lot of these I see put on my account no more reboots as this morning was working on a email so please stop any access

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I fully understand what I've advised isn't what you want to hear.

Thank you but you are going to get a lot of these I see put on my account no more reboots as this morning was working on a email so please stop any access

Could you clarify what you mean by that please?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
dangerm50
Hooked

Ok what I have decided is close this as it futile when things go well then great no issues I praised PlusNet for three years but I cant comment anymore I hope it improves with time your action this morning moved my speed to 3.76mb never know strange things happen just don't want anything messing with it again no reboots or remotes to it  let see what happens

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Just a thought, have you tried going back to the old router, new is not always better. On long lines, I have found the old BT Business 2 Wire routers performed better than any of the Home Hubs.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi,

Sight of a full set of stats data might help.  As suggested, different routers might behave differently on long marginal lines.

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

@adamwalker Are you able to still access BTw historical data for this line prior to the commercial change?  That would confirm previous performance, specifically SNRM.  Would a change of commercials have applied any BTw changes to the line?  If not then the only change is the router.  I've a personal interest here as I'm about to look at a resign on a highly stable line configured at 3dB & adsl2 (922.3) - not 2+ - so I'm seeking to understand if a change on commercials could mess up the service configuration as implied here.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.