cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet broadband hardly ever works

Keefaz

Plusnet broadband hardly ever works

Been a customer for a few months, and at first the service was fine. Now the broadband is down 50% of the time, speed is terrible. Tried to submit a support request but broadband wouldn't really stay up long enough to get through it. Any help would be appreciated.
13 REPLIES 13
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Plusnet broadband hardly ever works

Do you have any problems with phone calls? If the line is noisy it's highly likely to cause broadband problems.
Have you tried connecting to the test socket, using a different filter and tried a different router.
These checks are detailed in the Dropping Connection Troubleshooting guide. If that doesn't help you will need to report a fault at http://faults.plus.net/ or give the CSC a call on 0800 432 0200 or 0345 140 0200.
Poor speeds probably result from the exchange equipment trying (and failing) to stabilise the line. Speeds should return to normal once that fault is fixed.
David
Keefaz

Tried a different microfilter and using the test socket. Made no difference. Don't have the means of testing a different router: besides, Plusnet supplied the router, so shouldn't that be covered by them?
BryanP
Grafter

I have also been a customer of plusnet for a few months and have had perfect service from them, a couple of problems have been sorted out, but what I find frustrating is the answer is always on the website but I have difficulty in navigating my way round the many support pages
amcclean
Rising Star

Are all you pieces of equipment which are connected to the various phone sockets around the house filtered?
What bits of equipment sit next to your router?
If you call PN they do sometimes agree to send out a test router which they also supply a bag for to return at the end of the testing.
It could be as also mentioned that the equipment at the exchange is also faulty. Calling pn generally always a positive experience.
podman
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi Keefaz,
Welcome to the forums by the way.
Plusnet will replace the modem/router if it's faulty and under warranty, the point of trying another one is to eliminate your existing one as the possible cause of the problem. But leaving that aside for the time being, when you say trying the test socket and a different microfilter made no difference, how were you assessing that? If it was a plain speed test, I'm afraid that doesn't tell you anything because you don't know if your IP profile has recovered.
You need to run the BT Speedtester (Diagnostic) and post the full results. Can you also post your current mode/router ADSL line stats. See this page for guidance, select your modem/router, then select FAQ's and Troubleshooting and select 5 - Where can I find my line stats? Also your Current Line speed from the member centre (login required)
Keefaz

Speed isn't the problem. Well, it isn't the main problem. The problem is that there is simply no internet for hours at a time.
jim:quote
Anotherone
Champion

You said your speed was terrible in your first post  Huh   What exchange are you on?
Also note http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1338213249.htm
And we still need to see all the information requested if forum members are going to be able to give you any help.
Keefaz

Quote from: Anotherone
And we still need to see all the information requested if forum members are going to be able to give you any help.

Um. Trumpington exchange, I believe.
I have some infos here:

The connection's been pretty stable today but there was nothing until around 4pm yesterday. Usually I'll come home from work and there'll be no internet and I'll just reboot until the thing works. Sometime's it'll stay up for a day, sometimes it'll die again after an hour. As I say, changing the microfilter and using the test socket made no different to its reliability.
Mangoletsi
Grafter

In the middle of your router stats, you have a heading called SN Margin.
Can you go to that page again and look at the down speed SN Margin and press F5 a few times and see if that numbers changing wildly.
On a good line with no problems it should be fairly consistant, only varying by about 0.3db.
Anotherone
Champion

That suggestion in reply #9 is worth a quick check. It does sound as though you have a dropping connection, but these faults may have affected you as well.
Were you not able to get the Current Line speed (login required) from the Member centre unless you are a MAAF customer. The result from the BT speedtester is well below the BT IP profile, was the test wireless or wired? If wireless you need to do it wired (unless the cause is the Plusnet Current Line speed being below the BT IP profile).
It looks as though the Exchange DLM has raised your Target Noise Margin (probably 12dB) as a result of connections drops, this results in slower speed. When the Plusnet staff are in tomorrow they can check you connection history, but to help avoid the Target SNRM being raised further, if you need to swap things around follow this method -
Use this Disconnect method -
Do a Disconnect of your PPP Internet session with the ISP - you need to login to the modem/router interface and look for the Disconnect button to click on. On the Thomson modem/routers you will typically find it in the box marked Internet as shown here. Now wait a few minutes, power down. Then wait 10 minutes (during this time swap any filters, modem/router, connect to test socket, etc. - it doesn't matter if you take longer than 10 minutes) and then power up again (You may need to login to the modem/router and click on Connect to re-establish the PPP Internet session). Check the stats immediately (The Noise Margin [SNRM] shown is usually the current Target Noise Margin).
I usually recommend you do this no more than 5 times in an hour, and then leave it alone for the rest of the day.  Remember the reason for this procedure is to help prevent the exchange DLM from thinking you have a dropping connection. (But it's no guarantee!).
You can use the Disconnect/Connect (without a power down) to Gateway hop.
When you connect to the test socket, you need to be looking at the sync speed with the exchange (the Bandwidth Down - 3552 in the stats in reply #8) if it's significantly better in the test socket you may have an issue with your fixed extension wiring if you have any. Try the test socket in daylight hours, noise levels tend to be lower, so speeds better.
The other thing to check is, can you hear any audible noise on your line when using the phone - if so check with a corded phone in the test socket and if still present report a phone line fault to your line rental provider - don't mention the broadband otherwise you get the run around.
kdoug007
Grafter

hope  im  allowed  to    say soemthing..
i went  from    BT  TO PN    last  week.,..    since then the  service has  been truly  outstanding.
  am  well within  my  usuage  allowance  ( just  like  i was  with BT).
  AND  THE  SPEED  SEEMS  EVEN  QUICKER  THAN IT  WAS..
    a  truly  happy  customer,,,    and  to add the  customer  support fantastic.. 
Anotherone
Champion

I'm sure you're thrilled with your new connection kdoug007 but I'm afraid it isn't going to help this poor user with their connection problem  Wink
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

It could be the router or a problem on the line. Can you hear anything on the line when trying the Quiet Line test (or its called something like that) - dial 17070 - it should be fairly quiet (with a corded phone anyway).
Try another router (support should send you out one for testing) and see if that fixes it.