cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet bandwidth Management & PS3

mrmarkus1981
Grafter

Plusnet bandwidth Management & PS3

I read that the PSN Video Store will be going l;ive in Nov 2009 in the UK. Cheesy Cheesy
http://www.bitterwallet.com/playstation-video-store-to-launch-in-november/16958
The question is, will plusnet traffic management be loosened so anyone can actually use it that is not on the pro package. Whilst i have NO issues with Plusnet at the moment, if the PSN remains as slow as it is now during peak time, it wont be good enough for my purpose.
Any thoughts anyone?
5 REPLIES 5
bobboulby
Grafter

Re: Plusnet bandwidth Management & PS3

This is good news.
I wonder if there will be an option to schedule downloads after midnight? Otherwise time to move to "Unlimited" I think !
Bob
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

How slow is the PSN for you at the moment? We have a signature that puts it into the gold queue but it gets rate limited as per the traffic in the Download Sites catagory. Is the performance you're seeing lower than the expected speeds or does look about right for what you see?
We can review the PSN traffic by all means and we'll certainly have a look at the video store once it goes live to see how it works. It might be we'd need to add a new signature to detect it anyway and it depends on the bit rate of the video streams and the type, a streaming video like iPlayer rate limited to say 512kbps when you're watching the 800kbps stream wouldn't work but if you were doing the same on a progressive stream like iTunes it would just wait to start playing until it knew the download would complete before you got to the end.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
bobboulby
Grafter

PSN downloads have been fine for us recently (BBYW Option 2) although we do try to avoid downloading big files in the evening.
I think it's ok that normal traffic shaping rules should apply to video downloads but if the video store offers the option to stream films in real time, I suggest that these should be given the same priority as other video streaming traffic (such as iPlayer).
Bob
scootie
Grafter

i dnt mind game downloads ect being 0x60 but i was getting very anoyed when i turned my xbox on the other day after a period of not using to find i needed the system update which took a gd ten minutes to download.
bobboulby
Grafter

I've also just found this:
BBC iPlayer coming to PlayStation Network
Sony has announced that BBC iPlayer will soon be made available on the PlayStation Network in the UK, along with a new movie streaming service.
Under the initiative, PS3 owners will be able to stream BBC programming on their consoles via a sanctioned link on the PSN. Currently, gamers are only able to do this by accessing the PS3's in-built internet browser.

Source http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitaltv/a172426/bbc-iplayer-coming-to-playstation-network.html
Bob