cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet assist not updating!?!

lemondrops

Plusnet assist not updating!?!

Hi I have just become a new customer of plusnet today. Set up the router with no issues, internet working fine. However when I downloaded plusnet assist it keeps telling me I do not have the latest update and to click on a link to download it. Each time I click on the link it tells me I have already downloaded the latest version. I have so far uninstalled and re installed it 3 times. Am out of ideas now, any suggestions?
Tabitha
5 REPLIES 5
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Plusnet assist not updating!?!

If you're using Windows, which version? W8 isn't compatible with PN assist.
Welcome to PN.
lemondrops

Thanks, mostly good so far  Smiley  I'm using windows 7.
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

If PlusNet Assist is causing issues for you, it might be best to uninstall it altogether. It is not a requirement to your connection, just an add-on that can sometimes help people on the odd occasion.
That's RPM to you!!
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

...but which uses up an alarming quantity of your computer's resources. 
petejackson
Grafter

Quote from: lemondrops
However when I downloaded plusnet assist it keeps telling me I do not have the latest update and to click on a link to download it.

Hi Tabitha, I’m sorry to hear that you’re having problems installing Plusnet Assist.
The symptom:  When you installed the software did you see a screen with the message “We have detected that the latest version of Plusnet Assist is not currently installed on your computer” and did it prompt you to download it again?  Don’t download it again, Plusnet Assist is in fact installed and you’re being shown the message in error.
In most cases this issue is caused by Active X Filtering being switched on.  To check this:
In IE9
1. Go to Tools (top right of the screen; it looks like a ‘cog’, or press Alt and X together).
2. Click on Safety and you should see Active X Filtering listed.  Is it ticked?
3. Click on Active X Filtering to un-tick it.
4. Now refresh the page or restart Plusnet Assist.  If this has worked you should see the Plusnet Assist Home page instead of the message to download it again.
If you want to use Active X Filtering you can watch out for a small blue circle with a diagonal line drawn through it which appears in the Browser Address Bar (next to the Refresh symbol).  If you hover your mouse cursor over this it will read “Some content in this site is filtered”.
Click on it and you will be given the option to turn Active X Filtering off for this site

If this hasn’t worked you can try adding the Plusnet Assist web address to your list of Trusted Sites. To do this:
1. Go to Tools (top right of the screen; it looks like a ‘cog’, or press Alt & X together).
2. Click on ‘Internet Options’.
3. Click on the ‘Security’ tab (next to General).
4. Click on the green tick ‘Trusted Sites’.
5. You should see that the ‘Sites’ button has now become active.  Click on it.
6. You’ll see the message “Add this website to the zone”. You might see the Plusnet Assist (Motive) address already here or you can type it in manually https://pbttbcpn.bt.motive.com/ (If you do type it, make sure you get the address spot on!)
7. Click on Add to add it to your Trusted Sites and then click Close. Now click OK.
8. Now refresh the page or restart Plusnet Assist.  If this has worked you should see the Plusnet Assist Home page.

In IE8
1. Click on Tools (or Press Alt & T together).
4. Click on the green tick ‘Trusted Sites’.
5. You should see that the ‘Sites’ button has now become active.  Click on it.
6. You’ll see the message “Add this website to the zone”. You might see the Plusnet Assist (Motive) address already here or you can type it in manually https://pbttbcpn.bt.motive.com/ (If you do type it, make sure you get the address spot on!)
7. Click on Add to add it to your Trusted Sites and then click Close. Now click OK.
8. Now refresh the page or restart Plusnet Assist.  If this has worked you should see the Plusnet Assist Home page.

If this hasn’t worked you can check to see if Active X is being blocked:
1. Click on Tools (or Press Alt & T together).
4. Near the bottom of the box you’ll see ‘Reset all zones to default level’.  Click this.
5. Now look at the Security Level ‘slider’.  Set it to Medium-high, and then click ‘Custom level’.
6. Scroll down the window to check that ‘Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins’ is set to ‘Enable’ - it should be.  Don’t change any other settings at this stage.
7. Now click OK and OK again.
Plusnet Assist isn't yet compatible with Internet Explorer 10 or Windows 8 I'm afraid.