cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet as rubbish as ever

paulwalker6789
Dabbler

Plusnet as rubbish as ever

Some time ago - 18 months mebbe more I had some issues with broadband which were eventually dealt with by James Bailey in complaints and Luke Sanderson who deserved a medal. As a solution to the problem they fixed the speed of my line at 2mg, which has worked fine ever since. However, the line has now begun dropping out continually, only for a couple of seconds at a time which is no problem if you are using a PC, simply refresh the page and all is well. However, for things like srtreaming it's a major issue. Anyway this morning I did a speed check with the BT wholesale site, and it came up at 0.8 or thereabouts, rebooted the router and since then it has been about 2.4, so obviously the fix has been taken off, and the dreaded dynamic line management is back. The line cannot cope with that speed, drops out and eventually resets at around the 0.8 mark. The line can, however, cope with the fixed speed of 2.0mg, and all works fine.
So, I ring the call centre and speak to a guy who insists that a fixed speed is not possible and there has never been a fix on my line. The usual stonewalling of the incompetent - "because I have never heard of it, it cannot exist". I have posted on here in the hope that someone from plusnet with sense will find the post. I live in hope.
5 REPLIES 5
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Plusnet as rubbish as ever

If your line can cope with a 2Mbps Fixed speed, it can obviously cope (if it weren't faulty) with a lot faster on MaxDSL.
This does sound like a line problem and I suggest we try and analyse all the "conditions" which could in the end result in you having a far better broadband performance. The line is not owned or maintained by Plusnet  Openreach have to do that on Plusnet's behalf as the "supplier", so it's not their fault but it is their responsibility to get it fixed for you. We need answers to quite a few questions to get to the bottom of things and then point Plusnet is the "correct" direction.
What modem/router are you using (make/model)? If it's the TG582n, can you post the full xDSL stats (link in my sig)?
Do you have a Master Socket like the one on the left? Do all your Microfilters look similar to this?
Do you have any extension phone sockets, and where are you currently plugged in? Are you using any phone/router extension leads?
Can you hear/have you heard any crackling or other noises on the line when using the phone? Have you had any problems with incoming or outgoing calls? Dial17070 use option 2 for the Quiet Line Test if needed.
Can you also put your number into this checker and post the results (copy and paste) BUT redact your phone number.
Anotherone
Champion

I have received a PM from the OP and before posting it below so that others don't waste their time on this issue, I would like to point out that this is a Community Forum. If you don't want Community support and purely wish to moan at Plusnet, then I suggest you follow the Complaints procedure with which you are obviously familiar. There is clearly something seriously wrong with your connection, but as you obviously know all there is to know about it and why you aren't getting something approaching a 10Mbps connection if on a 21CN exchange or 7Mbps on 20CN, then in view of your approach, there's not point in bothering further.
dick:green Copy of PM posted without permission removed as per forum rule.
Anotherone
Champion

I totally object to the removal of part of my post, I have reported the PMs - 3 now - as offensive - other forum members should be aware of this posters attitude to the community.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Anitherone,
Thank you for the heads up.  Looking back though the OP's posting history, there is not a single post to the community providing any information which would allow the community to assist.  One can only conclude that informed assistance is not being sought here.  In such situations, all that one can do is recommend that a formal fault be raised through the normal channels - see link below.
Having reread all of the OP's posts, this extract made me smile...
Quote from: paulwalker6789
I would like to make a few points that other forum members might be interested in, as I feel I have calmed down enough to be somewhat more objective.
5. To summarise I do actually think that PN deliver a good service...
6. If you have read this to the end well done. I am not nearly as pompous as I sound - honest.

Really?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderator's Note
Thread locked at the request of the OP as it's going nowhere.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine