Plusnet, are the wheels coming off?

Be3G
Grafter

Re: Plusnet, are the wheels coming off?

Quote from: orbrey
Somehow I thought you might.

Cheeky. Tongue
as far as our system is concerned the £83.85 has been charged and refunded, even if that never actually reached your bank account. You can see this on your invoices and the service notices on the account. Unfortunately that's just how the system works.

Fair enough - and obviously I'm glad that the charge never reached the bank account. My point is simply that I had no idea at the time that PN would be able to reverse the charge before it reached the bank; normally the way PN refund money (which they've had to do quite a few times now...) is the money gets taken then I have to wait perhaps a week or more for it to be credited again. Hence my initial concern and forum rant about it.
I mentioned that because the agent states that the direct debit was re-added in the response on the 4th of March, which is the same date that your currently active DD was added. In fact in the same response the agent advises that the previous direct debit failed due to an issue with your bank, a fact that you didn't dispute on the ticket at the time. I see what you mean about the billing date though.

Well, you'll find I've not actually accused PN of being the ones to cause the DD problems in this thread or elsewhere. I do however suspect they might have been the ones who caused the problem: Barclays blamed PN (ticket 28045440 response 1:26pm 04/03), PN blamed Barclays (following response), and it has to be said my confidence in Barclays is greater than my confidence in PN. However, without knowing for certain I've not gone around blaming PN for the issue. In fact, to be quite honest, I haven't a clue what happened really with the direct debits. It all got in to such a muddle (same ticket, 9:36pm 18/03) that I didn't know what to think and just crossed my fingers that it'd all eventually work, which thankfully it did.
But anyway, I think we're getting sidetracked here - the intention of this thread isn't to try and apportion blame for the DD fiasco. The real problem under discussion here is the quality and speed of Plusnet's support, which I hope I've demonstrated does need some marked improvements in places... and I'm glad to see, from godsell and Asbo's replies, that I'm not the only one to think that way.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: Be3G
The real problem under discussion here is the quality and speed of Plusnet's support, which I hope I've demonstrated does need some marked improvements in places

Indeed, I certainly don't disagree with that (as I hope has been clear from my replies) and I hope I've shown that we are improving though I realise until you see faster responses on a ticket you've raised yourself you won't take my word for it.
Quote from: Be3G
and I'm glad to see, from godsell and Asbo's replies, that I'm not the only one to think that way.

Personally it makes me far from glad that there are multiple people unhappy with our support centre and the way it works. Here's hoping that the improvements, recruitment and ongoing development will turn that round.
Be3G
Grafter

Well yes of course, obviously I'm not glad that people are having problems - what I meant is that I'm glad I'm not just some lone supporter of the notion that improvements need to be made. Smiley
csogilvie
Grafter

Quote from: nozzer
Who is the Customer Services Manager these days. Is it still Carole Axe? If so, does she monitor these pages?

The general manager of the CSC is currently Steve Woods... I suspect he monitors the forums and relies on feedback from the Comms Team etc.  as to what the issues are.
mal0z
Grafter

yes he made the one post and then hid !. Even the CEO has made more posts.
Mark
Grafter

I'm sure you'd agree that Steve's time is better spent analysing the issues and dealing with them. I know he finds the forums valuable but the Comms guys sit right beside Steve and ensure that he is totally aware of the current issues and feedback raised in this and other threads. The entire business is aware and the senior team totally engaged in discussions and plans to understand and resolve the issues flagged recently on these forums.
Customer feedback has always been vital to us as a business. We wont always deliver what you guys ask for but when it comes to service delivery we need to be spot on in that regard.
We are fully aware of the concerns raised by you guys and are committed to dealing with these issues. That work has already started and is being driven at director level.
We've a bit of work to do but we'll sort this and get things back to the standards we're known for.
Santiago
Grafter

I understand many people have their specific problems they want resolving. These are clearly documented on the forum and we see them played out on here on a daily basis.
My OP was referring to the cumulative effect created by all the various gripes being posted on the forum. The Community is a real benefit to the company and the customers, I am pleased to be able to air these issues here and consider that a privilege. I also think the regular Plusnet contributors to the forum (the usual suspects) are a credit to the company. I was not criticising them in any way.
However it seems to me, viewing the forums that they (the usual suspects) are currently involved in a series of manual interventions to try and maintain a respectable level of customer service and often a last ditch attempt to stop customer leaving. This has to be done because the Plusnet infrastructure has failed time and time again.
For example, I cannot understand why incorrect billing issues have been allowed to run on for over six months with out the billing platform being fixed, despite the respective customers regularly complaining. I know who has problems with their billing, I know what the errors are because I read them on here so why couldn't plusnet deal with this in a robust fashion and fix the problem?
I was asking why is this happening, what are the reasons for this?  It seems to me the plusnet systems are failing at worst or creaking at the seams at best, causing the comms team to be firefighting in the community every day helping people who have posted their issues in the forum. What about the other 90% (guess) of customer who do not use the forum but rely on the often criticised CSC and ticket system? Who is helping them to stay with plusnet, my guess is they vote with their feet.
I admire Plusnet aggressively growing their business, nothing wrong with that, but the infrastructure seem to be lagging behind somewhat. I see that new people are being recruited which is good all round but if they are brought into the current culture it will make no difference.
Mark
Grafter

The comms team have always done a fantastic job of covering issues on these forums and their predecessors since 2002 ish. I don't believe that they alone are working to provide a respectable level of service. Whilst not in any way trying to diminish the importance of the issues raised here, out of the thousands of calls and tickets we touch each and every week the overall standard of service and support remains high. there are issues we need to address and that is happening but also remember that its always been the case that forums will seldom reflect the general level of support provided. The vast majority of people will post when they have an issue or a problem and that will always be the case. However I've always maintained that these forums provide us with an early warning system and flag areas of concern or issues before they become more widespread. the people who post on forums are generally more savvy and as such are quick to raise issue and provide feedback. The value of these boards is huge in the impact they have on us as a business and a good barometer of knowledgeable customer opinion. I fully agree with your comments about the cumulative effect of the nature and number of less than flattering posts and that has contributed in no small way in raising the profile of the issues identified.
For example, I cannot understand why incorrect billing issues have been allowed to run on for over six months with out the billing platform being fixed

I'll copy part of a post I made to PUG a few days ago in their forums.
The billing system itself, I don't think is the problem. Kelly and I had a chat about this yesterday. There are so many manual actions which can cause billing issues and I'm currently of the opinion that many of the problems we are seeing are not necessarily code related. Some are or have been but I don't think the majority are.
Bare in mind that with well in excess of 300k customers, if billing was fundamentally flawed we'd be inundated with calls and tickets regarding billing. We're not and as such these are in the main individual issues. Account changes, change of billing dates, incorrectly handled product changes, incorrectly handled component refreshes, there's a hundred things which can upset billing. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming the CSC for all of these issues, it maybe begs the question why do the systems allow this to happen but when we have a CSC who are empowered to get it right first time we have to make the tools available to let them do their jobs.
Our billing system is complex and it has to be. I fully confess, I am no expert in that area. I'll bow to the knowledge of Kelly and others, when it comes to that side of things. However it needs investigating and we'll do that.
There's a lot to look into here, billing, processes, quality, response times and staffing levels. We're on with that and we'll sort it.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Well I have just had a bad Billing Experience on the Home Phone, Mat (Orbrey) knows the problem, but the underlying problem although initially small has been going on for four months, and the bad Glitch last weekend has been resolved by Mat and Rio, but the underlying billing problem is still outstanding
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Pierre,
I've had a look through the PM and will reply shortly, but essentially all of these issues are to do with the change in product rather than the billing platform.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Pierre,
PM returned, sorry it took a while.
snozboz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I've noticed the same thing - tickets taking too long to get a reply, then CSC agents not reading them properly and giving irrelevant stock answers.
My recent problem(s) seemed to resolve themselves, after 5 days without a useable internet connection, but I'd had nothing helpful from the CSC.  And I haven't had any explanation either.  (Main ticket ID 29464151, parents ticket ID 29555031,  forum post.)
DirectFS
Grafter

Quote from: Mark
I'm sure you'd agree that Steve's time is better spent analysing the issues and dealing with them. I know he finds the forums valuable but the Comms guys sit right beside Steve and ensure that he is totally aware of the current issues and feedback raised in this and other threads. The entire business is aware and the senior team totally engaged in discussions and plans to understand and resolve the issues flagged recently on these forums.

Steve's time -  - is best spent ensuring that his team, i.e. customer service, is doing its job collectively.  It isn't, by and large.  That is evidenced at least in part by the number of posters willing to comment here - even given that we represent a cross section of perhaps 1% of your total customer base.
I don't speak, necessarily, as a lay person - but as someone with considerable experience of field and office service industry management at fairly senior levels.  Steve will be (or ought to be) concentrating specifically on whatever his, and by extension, the CSC KPIs are.  I suspect they have more to do with the volume of tickets closed, and the number of calls into the centre cleared, rather than any measure of "happiness" - though satisfaction levels will be in there too.  But these levels are very often flawed.  For example, how many "survey responses" does Plusnet actually receive, compared to the number of tickets closed online? 
Let's be honest here.  The whole business is about revenue generation first, foremost, and at every point in between - and the end punter's notion of "service" pales into non-existence next to this.  The business is NOT driven by putting right faults, but rather by minimising the impact of faults versus revenue generation - a key, but vital difference.
And to be fair, it is unreasonable, at the price points currently set, to expect to hold Plusnet to any form of contracted SLA. So the notion is instead created by suggesting typical response times - with no comeback where times clearly are not being met, other than a rep jumping up and stating that Plusnet is "learning".  Hmm.  Isn't that page three of the "how to bluff your punter" manual - make 'em think they're valued by agreeing with them.
Customer feedback has always been vital to us as a business. We wont always deliver what you guys ask for but when it comes to service delivery we need to be spot on in that regard.

Do you actually believe this?  That's page two of the manual.  Customer feedback is only EVER measured in two ways - revenue generated and attrition, or churn, of you prefer.  Those are the ONLY two figures that drive a business like Plusnet in terms of customer vitality.  Cynical, yes, but remember - I have lived, breathed, eaten, and even written, the manual.
The reality is not that you need to be spot on, as you claim, but rather, that levels of churn are minimised, whilst revenue is driven up.  Naturally that means making "improvements" from time to time, but the reality is that most of those "improvements" are more in terms of realigning current capability to current demand - robbing Peter to pay Paul - than to genuinely adding value at no end user cost to a product.
We are fully aware of the concerns raised by you guys and are committed to dealing with these issues. That work has already started and is being driven at director level.

Why is it being driven at Director level?  That's a tacit admission of the seriousness of the issues actually being faced.  In my industry, getting a director involved meant you'd screwed up beyond all belief.  It is the same in most other service industries.  Directors should be directing the business - we've discussed how the business is revenue generation - and NOT dealing with connectivity, or speed, or customer satisfaction issues.
Announcing that Mr Director has the ball is really only tantamount to saying that staff are failing.
It would be as well, if it really is being driven at Director level, that Mr Director got his fingers to work here, to respond to some of the recent criticisms of his business - or, is it more as was earlier suggested, that Mr Director feels his attrition is low enough versus his new revenue generation that he can afford not to respond directly to the probelms he is allegedly driving the solutions to?
We've a bit of work to do but we'll sort this and get things back to the standards we're known for.

Yes, you have.  But I also wonder if Plusnet are truly aware of the frustrations around at present - or what it is actually like to be a customer who has experienced problems for about a month now, which seem to be getting worse, rather than better, and in which prompt and efficient communication does NOT seem to figure.  I am not going to labour the issue of Plusnet being a comms business - they aren't - they're a revenue generation business, just the same as any other.
Now, one tuppence worth added, here's my second.
I too have experienced issues over the last month or so, so much so that I have had countless losses of connectivity today, the worst yet, in fact.  I have updated my ticket two or three times today, and sadly, I no longer expect a response in the same day I update the ticket - it generally seems to be the case that a reply comes in the middle of the night, if at all.
This started off as a very minor inconvenience, in that the broadband dropped maybe once or twice in the day.  Along the way it has highlighted many more issues:
(1) The product I signed up to more than five years ago - isn't the product I have today - but also has reduced in value from what it was originally.  There was never any (known) bandwidth limit when I took the product.  That got snuck in somewhere along the line.  And it was damn meagre too.  2Gb.  What's that useful for?  I have a mobile broadband package which costs less, and offers more.  And is a sight more reliable too, I have to say.  I plug it in, and it works.  Consistently.  And when I reach my limit, a nice little window pops up asking if I want to add bandwidth, or cripple my sync.  Thing is, I normally don't reach my limit on that.  With Plusnet, however, I've had to add and add - 6Gb "allowance" now, and while I try very hard to do all my heavy downloads in the night, I'm still hitting the limits of this with ten days to go.  Yet, I'm paying £15 a month for this.  For the same money I can get "truly unlimited" broadband (apparently), together with a home phone with unlimited any time calls, a modem router, and cheap international calls - from a competitor also peddling BTw.  To be fair they've just been bought by Talk Talk, and I'm told far and wide that they stink as both a PSTN provider and as an ISP - yes, it is Tiscali, but the point is that the bandwidth on offer is effectively useless for the money.  I also am disinclined to be locked into my current experiences for a further twelve or eighteen months, when at least, presently, I have the god given right to vote with my feet if I so choose.
(2) The fixed 2Meg line I had was, it seems, far less problematic than this Max thing I'm on now.  But it shouldn't be that way.  Contention at my local exchange is likely never to exceed about 3:1 unless cows and sheep now also have internet access.  Most of the people round here have purple rinses, and give out their phone numbers in the old four digit format still.  As in Cooden 8711 rather than the current six digit version.  I imagine most of them still believe there is a real person inside the exchange still, plugging switchboard patches as required, and listening in to the gossip.  Ironically, since the switch to Max, I have seen sync at 8128 constantly util PN's IP profile copy was updated, and since then, it has shot around all over the place, but has not once reached the golden 8128.  All this from 69 metres away from the exchange.  I can literally reach out of my back door and touch the exchange!
(3) The time it has taken to get a response, or any action at all.  As mentioned, this has been going on for weeks now.  And every so often it gets "escalated" - where?  By rights it should have been escalated to God by now, given the number of escalations.  And why is it that escalation does not equal resolution?  Why did the fault checker clear once, and has now decided that there is a fail on the network after all?  Why is it only now that BT are going to require up to 48 hours to respond - that pretty well means Monday, I'd bet.  If I'm lucky.  But I cannot hold my breath that long, so pardon me for not doing so, in anticipation of a fast response.
(4) How long does Plusnet really expect a customer to wait with ongoing problems before getting so frustrated that they do walk?  More than four weeks?  Less?
(5) And today's Golden Shot.  I attempted a download last night - not a large one by any means, given the size of any DVD available today - notwithstanding, it was a 2.36Gb download of Windows 7 RC.  That took 12 hours!!!!!  Yes, twelve.  And in the interim ate into the non free bandwidth allowance I have tried so hard to protect.  So, today I received an "approaching your usage allowance" email.  Not impressed, frankly.  That's 2GB of download that was started, and should EASILY have finished in the allocated "free" time, but did not, due to connectivity issues.  Why not wait until tonight?  Well, same issues, worse today, plus, 20 August - last night, was cut off for downloading the RC.  It is now no longer available.  Thing is, I have spent a month putting off that download specifically because of these issues with connectivity. 
So, my challenge, Plusnet, is simple.  Give me a reliable connection that's there when I want it.  Then add the bandwidth I need to it.  At a reasonable cost.  And perform.  Or let me walk. 
In simple terms I have NO issue with a twelve, or eighteen month contract, so long as it comes with a cast iron, guaranteed SLA.  Do any of your packages?  Of course not.  So in the absence of that, have the conviction of the strength of your products and your service, and offer me what I need, on my current terms - i.e. one month, sensible usage allowance, reliable connection.  Not too much to ask really - it is what I signed up for initially, and indeed, what Plusnet provided initially.  I am in fact not asking for a change really, but rather what I had, albeit taking advantage of the "up to 8Mb" so readily touted.
I'm scratching my head now, trying to figure out exactly where it was that Plusnet took away from my package, and managed to screw more out of me for far less.  When did I ever have a 2Gb limit on usage initially?  And Why do I now????  Have I ever abused it?  Been a major drain on resources??  Nope.  And theoretically, the maximum I could use, even assuming a perfect 8Mb throughput is around 2Tb a month.  How much does 2Tb of data transfer cost Plusnet, wholesale?  Bet it isn't much.
Well, food for thought, anyway.  Now to reset my router prior to sending this, or it won't post!!!!!.
Bill.
PS - I wasn't wrong either!  Router reset!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
James
Grafter

How much does 2Tb of data transfer cost Plusnet, wholesale?  Bet it isn't much.

I believe that it's in the region of £1500-2000.
The concerns you have raised that the issues being reported have been raised at Director level, I don't see to be something that should be massively concerning.  There's a Director (albeit under the name of a General Manager) who direct responsibility is that of the CSC and responsible to ensure that the CSC is delivering to the targets set.  Yes, these targets will contain elements of call waiting times, ticket closure and so on, however, there is also a customer sat & dissat target, which we calculate based on survey responses, as you know.  We'll send out a survey on every 5th closed contact on an account.  Of course, not everyone will answer these, but I'd like to think it gives a relatively realistic overview of the customers that do contact us.
DirectFS
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
How much does 2Tb of data transfer cost Plusnet, wholesale?  Bet it isn't much.

I believe that it's in the region of £1500-2000.

So, around £1 per gigabyte transferred? Seems excessive, especially given the bulk Plusnet will be buying.  Put a different way, the value option costs £5.99 in Market 3.  That provides 10Gb of data allowance.  So, you can, theoretically squeeze 200 value customers onto that 2Tb for a revenue of £1198.  I'm a little puzzled.  There's a discrepancy of a minimum of £300 here, and potentially £700.  So we're to believe that Plusnet are subsidising value customers to the tune of up to £3.50 per customer every month?  And that's purely data allowance - how do you pay for overheads, capital expenditure, operating costs?  That alone would add another £3-£5 per punter.  All of that before any notion of a profit margin.
Are you sure it isn't more like £150 - £200?Huh
I have to be honest, though.  I still find the notion of targeting Market three customers with deep discounting cynical - after all, the message is clearly that you don't care about the customers without choice - only those who may opt onto an LLU provider.  It has nothing to do with fairness.
The concerns you have raised that the issues being reported have been raised at Director level, I don't see to be something that should be massively concerning.  There's a Director (albeit under the name of a General Manager) who direct responsibility is that of the CSC and responsible to ensure that the CSC is delivering to the targets set.  Yes, these targets will contain elements of call waiting times, ticket closure and so on, however, there is also a customer sat & dissat target, which we calculate based on survey responses, as you know.  We'll send out a survey on every 5th closed contact on an account.  Of course, not everyone will answer these, but I'd like to think it gives a relatively realistic overview of the customers that do contact us.

Okay - I can accept that a GM would have input to the process, after all, the responsibility of a GM is to ensure the business, as a whole, is operating in accordance with the Director's plan.
The inference that a Director had become involved with the "issues" - i.e. the problems in part being reported here - is what is concerning, since the way what Mark wrote read, was that the management in place to deal with these things on a daily basis was not doing so - for any number of possible reasons (I am NOT suggesting incompetence).  And clearly, that has been the case to some extent, since there are a potentially large number of concerns about the same core issues in here at present.  My own experiences, for example, don't bode well for an indication of efficient customer support.
Key among my concerns would be the reality reported here versus the "average times" published on your site.  Why are they so far apart at present - drastically far apart?  I mean, a brief read of the forums here shows that my experiences aren't atypical of the current general experiences of CSC.  It seems that many here do not get the action they need until personal involvement by guys like yourself, or James, or Mark.  And you cannot keep claiming they are isolated incidents, that the ball was dropped, that you're learning from it - too many to rely on those get-outs. 
I am sure you can understand my frustration - that even after (I believe) around a month, I am still struggling to get what are to my mind, basic questions answered - simple issues resolved.  And frankly, that frustration just accelerates when I know that directors, or GM's are involved, and still nothing moves.
Bill.