cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Value Usage Allowance Maximum Limit

jwhite
Grafter

Plusnet Value Usage Allowance Maximum Limit

Is there one, or does it just keep deducting £2 for every 2GB over the 10GB limit?
Is there any warning given when extra charges are due?
My current service (Metronet PAYG Option 2) has a maximum monthly limit on charges, so there's peace of mind, but I haven't seen anything in the Value FAQs about this. 
I don't worry about a little extra usage, but I recently installed an application which was (legitimately, but with no effective warning) downloading large amounts of data and didn't find out until I got the bill.  The app's gone now, but I'm wary of this happening again if I switch to a service with potentially unlimited costs.
23 REPLIES 23
Emma
Grafter

Re: Plusnet Value Usage Allowance Maximum Limit

There should be something that used to be called data transfer watch where you can set a maximum amount you wish to spend each month.
If you click on connection settings, then control your broadband, you can then set a broadband price limit.
hope this helps
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

With value you don't get rate limited when you reach the limit it just stops until you authorise the extra payment
Emma
Grafter

@Jim I don't think that is what is being asked, i think they want to monitor their spending.
Just checked mother in laws account and there is a data transfer watch button on the connection settings tab from the member centre.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

@Emma
I know that wasn't what he asked but it was a major change from the previous BBYW products which was why I mentioned it
jwhite
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
With value you don't get rate limited when you reach the limit it just stops until you authorise the extra payment

That would be OK, though it does seem abrupt to cut you off with no warning.  I was afraid the money would just be taken without notification, which is how my current service works (though Metronet PAYG is payment in arrears). 
Does the authorised payment get taken from a registered card or via the direct debit?  It would seem a bit odd if they deducted £2 at a time.  Maybe they don't actually collect it until the end of the billing period?
Is this documented anywhere?  The legal page just says "Payment will be by Direct Debit or other agreed payment method" in the Broadband section.  The general Residential terms seem to say extra charges are applied in arrears.
--
[I just saw an earlier thread, recently bumped to the first page, which evaded my search before posting.  It says you get an e-mail warning, and charges are applied to the next bill, but it's not clear whether that applies to the new products or the old ones.]
Mand
Grafter

Hi,
The usage (and appropriate charge) will keep on being added until you either hit the value set in Data Transfer Watch, or until you reach £99.99 (rather unlikely but a system imposed maximum spend).
You will get an email each time usage is added.
The charges are added to your next bill rather than being deducted £2 at a time.
Hope that helps. Smiley
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Mand,
Does this apply to all products? .... even Legacy Products?
I cannot set a DTW figure because there appears to be a bug with my acount which cannot deal with the discount applied. As long as I get an email each time a usage chunk is added then I am OK with the bug.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

As I understand it, you should get an e-mail, but as I've never gone over I can't say that I've got one to prove it. But with BBYW it's still 1G chunks, see parts of http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,74355.0.html
jazz
Grafter

But on the Data Transfer Watch you can only set a minimum spend of £11.99 - even if your contract is for £5.99 a month - so you have to automatically  "authorise" £6.00 of additional spend per month which is an additional 6GB.  If only the Plusnet accounting systems could keep up with product changes life would be a lot simpler! Angry
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Jazz,
We've got a problem raised to our dev team on this and I've just added your account as an example. I'll chase this with them later on today as well.
Sorry for the hassle,
jwhite
Grafter

OK, thanks to all.  I think I understand it now.  Even if the minimum authorisation is £11.99, that's still less than my current rental so it wouldn't put me off.  
Mand
Grafter

Quote from: Wheel_nut
Mand,
Does this apply to all products? .... even Legacy Products?
I cannot set a DTW figure because there appears to be a bug with my acount which cannot deal with the discount applied. As long as I get an email each time a usage chunk is added then I am OK with the bug.

You'll definitely get an email every time usage is added.
I've just looked at your account and I can edit DTW for you internally, but only from the original product cost (before the discount). Feel free to PM me if you want this setting and let me know what to, I'll see what I can do for you.
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Thank you Mand. Don't bother trying to set the DTW. I realised that the behaviour was due to the discount.
As long as I get an email when usage is added that will be fine.
..... it's only money after all! It's not as though it affects something important like the Service.  Wink
theharveyfamily
Grafter

I've also just migrated to Plusnet Value.
I've restricted my account to the minimum allowed spend i.e. £11.99. (I'm on a Market 3 exchange so would have expected this to be £5.99)
The system has now informed me that :-
Maximum Broadband Price (per month): £11.99
Providing a total usage of 10GB this month.
Surely, if my boradband costs £5.99 & with an allowance of 10Gb. Then if I can pay £2.00 for each additional 2Gb I should be able to get 16Gb for £11.99.
Does that mean that if I exceed the 10Gb allowance I will get cut off unless I pay an extra £8.00 for another 2Gb ?