cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Unlimited

Daniel8998

Plusnet Unlimited

Hi guys,
I'm new to Plusnet, but not new to the Internet (so I apologise for any repeated issues).
I bought the Plusnet Unlimited package last week and was very aware of the traffic management speeds which would be put in place, specifically to usenet stuff, downloading from newsgroups.
My main question to other Unlimited users (regarding usenet mainly as everything else seems to be working okay and I have checked in the post 'Broadband Speed Issues' - but i didnt notice (at a glance) anyone else who was using this package).
I have noted down, (as I cant see this offer on the website anymore, so im guessing it was a limited offer or something) the speeds in which this package should offer regarding usenet.
I've been fine between 12am-12pm (full speeds) but as soon as I hit 12pm my speeds go to a maintained speed of 60kb (should be 512kb) at 2pm my speeds hit 30kb (should be 256kb) and im guessing again, like the previous night, at 4pm it'll drop to 15kb (should be 164kb).
What are other people experiencing on the Unlimited package now and in the past? I have been advised that there are current issues and the speeds will improve, however, as i said, I am new, so would like to get an insight to other users speeds.
I tend, like alot of people who will batter newsgroups, to download over night, but I do tend to download the odd thing during the day, which is why speeds of 512, 256kb etc doesnt bother me.. but at the moment during the day I get between 60-15kb which is pretty poor.
Thanks for any comments
Danny
9 REPLIES 9
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Plusnet Unlimited

welcome to the forums Smiley
I wonder if  you are getting your KB and kb mixed up? 512kb = 64KB and 256kb = 30KB, there are 8 bits in a byte.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
scootie
Grafter

as adeiwoo has said most things when downloading report in KB not kbps and need multiplying by 8 to get your kbps expected speed figure
Daniel8998

Thanks for the replies,

My line is synced at 7meg and over night I get no restrictions on my download rate in newsgroups, so I was downloading at around 768KB per second.
At 12pm that should change to 512KB but dropped to 60KB and went progressively worse.
Plusnet Unlimited seems to have been removed from the Broadband download speeds anyway, but I remember it saying Kb (not KB or kb) which is states for every package anyway.

I also was wondering what other people are experiencing on this unlimited thing, or maybe it's just me.
Danny
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Nope I have been on unlimited for about 6 months now, and it has ALWAYS been sub 60Kb after 12pm on usenet & p2p. I can still get full speed from iplayer and downloads from Ubuntu/
It would have been nice to have a 5Mb/3Mb etc limit after 12, but in reality it has been 0.5Mb/0.3Mb etc.
Even the new package that has replaced it is limited in your speed between 10am and 10pm down to about 6Kb I think.
Daniel8998

Okay, thanks for the post!
Quite misleading it seems when you sign up as they didnt tell me this on the phone.
Danny
scootie
Grafter

Plusnet Unlimited seems to have been removed from the Broadband download speeds anyway, but I remember it saying Kb (not KB or kb) which is states for every package anyway

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/ its bein put in the archive now
James
Grafter

Danny,
If you feel misled, I'm very sorry.
You should have been told that your service was subject to traffic management and the details are available on our website.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You are getting your units mixed up.
The expected speed for Usenet between 12pm and 2pm is 512Kbps (see http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/unlimited-experience.shtml).
512Kbps = 64KBps so if you are getting 60KBps as you posted it is performing exactly as per the spec.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
rheyes

I've only been with Plusnet for a few days, also on the unlimited package and I'm getting between 5 and 50 kbps (that's bits, not bytes) on my Giganews feed - I'm pretty much only downloading headers during the day and leave the download until after about 1:30 when I actually get full speeds.
I understand that it's pretty busy at the weekend, but at this time of day it could in theory reach up to 128kbps. I can live with 50kbps, but that seems to be fairly rare so far.  Admittedly it's only a small sample size though.
Thank goodness for the Giganews acclerator otherwise I'd never get to see any headers at all!