cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Traffic Shaping

d0dge

Plusnet Traffic Shaping

I have recently signed up for plusnet fibre unlimited. I was reading the following page about Plusnet Traffic Management. I am wondering where on this scale does transfer from cloud stoage services lie. Specifically Bitcasa and Dropbox. Would they be classed as other, or would the ellacoya system classify this as Browsing & Email.
I am also curious to hear anecdotes from anyone who currently uses these services. What download speeds do you get, does it vary much at peak etc.
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_management.shtml
6 REPLIES 6
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Plusnet Traffic Shaping

I have been on unlimited fibre since just before xmas, never really noticed any slow down from sites like those, my only issue has been some fluctuation of speed cured by switching g/w's but that has been resolved - that and a one off loss of access to usenet-news.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Dave is out so I can't 100% confirm, but they should be identified as either Download sites or servers, putting them either in Gold Plated or Gold.
I actually think these both should be in Silver, but that's not how the system is currently set up.   It shouldn't matter which queue they are in for normal day to day operation as we scale the network for there to be enough capacity to serve this full, but having them in silver would me we were prioritising your web and streaming over them.  This means that if you are on a slower connection, a big dropbox sync shouldn't cause problems with any streaming you are doing at that point in time.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
d0dge

Thank you both for your replies. I agree that drobox syncing isn't really speed critical and probably doesn't shouldn't have a high priority. Bitcasa on the other hand acts more like a harddisk in the cloud and as such needs lots of bandwidth. People may like to stream music or video directly from it. I have tested Bitcasa with a couple of other ISP's in the uk and they both showed symptoms of being heavily traffic shaped, to the point that it couldn't really be used for streaming video. 
Since Plusnet seems to be (refreshingly) open about the traffic shaping measures they employ, it would be interesting to know how Bitcasa protocol traffic is handled.
Kelly
Hero

That's useful feedback.
If it is designed for real time use, then we should be putting it into gold or titanium basically.
Kelly Dorset
d0dge

Awesome. I will be getting my new fibre connection next week and I will report back my findings. 
Kelly
Hero

If you want to work out how it is being prioritised, you can use Wireshark:
http://community.plus.net/library/faults/using-wireshark-for-data-capture/
Kelly Dorset