cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Technicolor TG582n Router 12v Plug / Socket size ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Plusnet Technicolor TG582n Router 12v Plug / Socket size ?

Does anyone know the Plusnet Technicolor TG582n Router 12v Plug / Socket size ?
They appear to be non standard size, none of my many dc power adaptors fit.
Measures (with a ruler !) at 5mm ish width, but the central post width in the socket is much thicker than normal. (Preventing insertion)
As the TG582n works off 12v @1A, for "emergency" use when there is a power cut, I would like to power the TG582n router from a 12v DC Battery source, so I can wi-fi from my Smartphone, or Ethernet from a battery powered laptop.
I cannot find this information anywhere !

7 REPLIES 7
pengbo
Grafter

Re: Plusnet Technicolor TG582n Router 12v Plug / Socket size ?

Just measured it with a digital caliper.  Outside 5.49mm. Inside 2.44mm. Wall 1.52mm.  Adding the internal and 2 x wall you get 5.48mm.
So making allowances I would think the Otside is probably labeled as 5.5mm and the post inside as 2.4 or 2.45 mm or somewhere around that.
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is excellent, thank you for doing that.
Now for some searching !

These seem to be suitable, though only in bulk ...
⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇⬇

Maplin do one at £1.99 each plus £2.99 postage, about the same it would cost me in petrol ! Ouch.

Again, thanks for the info.

picbits
Rising Star

Cut the cable, wire up 12v power source via DPDT switch.
Use the common two pins of the DPDT switch to go to the Modem
One set of NC terminals to the 12v wall wart
Other set of NO terminals to the 12v battery  - watch out though as 12 batteries are often 11-14 volts depending on the charge.
If you want to be really clever, use a DPDT 12v relay, acivate the relay from the wall power supply and when that gets cut off, the relay will switch to the battery supply Wink
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did consider that, but that is not a preferred option for me.

Down the local £1 shop tomorrow, they have multi connector DC leads
Thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, made up a lead, to power 582n Router from 8x Alkaline AA's,
standby consumption measured at 300ma, 12.85v, wi-fi enabled, so when the next power cut comes, I expect around 8 hours RT.
Connected to the Internet, consumption may go up, not tested yet.

Had just 4 power cuts in the last 12 months, only two lasted 3 hours, other two around 10 minutes, so I am well covered.
PS: The router won't indicate a Power light with 8x LSD NiMh, 10.45v, but does show consumption again at 300ma, so it may work.
picbits
Rising Star

Alkalines have a fairly linear voltage discharge curve so you'll drop below 12 volts fairly quickly.
Maybe try it with 6 or 7 AAs (drop the voltage to 9v-10.5v) and see if the router will operate on this voltage.
NiMh or NiCd AAs have a much sharper drop off curve and will keep at 90% of the voltage for around 90% of their capacity.
DrDave
Grafter

Is your domestic power supply that flakey to go to all this UPS effort then??  Angry