Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Support Misunderstanding Tickets

sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Plusnet Support Misunderstanding Tickets

Good Morning,
The BT IP profile (bRAS) has updated to 5Mb/s and the Plusnet current line speed hadn't updated to match it, so I raised a ticket to get it updated. It was a simple question but the support team seem to have completely misunderstood my request and they haven't updated the current line speed. The ticket says:
[Support Wizard Journey]
[I have a question about my broadband speed]
[My Broadband Connection]
[Broadband Speed]
[I have a question about my broadband speed]
[Additional Information]
Good afternoon,
is it possible for the "current line speed" to be updated to 5.5Mb to match the BT IP profile of 5500Kbps,
Thank you.
And I got this this response from Plusnet:
Dear ***,
Thank you for your query.
This is a graph of your connection with us:

After looking at your connection data it looks like you switch your router off when you are not using your internet connection.
If this is correct, you may be affecting your internet speed without knowing it.
There is an automated system at the exchange called Dynamic Line Management that looks for unstable connections, and will slow your connection down to stabilise your line.
The only way to get the Dynamic Line Management to release the hold it has on your line is to leave your router powered up and connected to the phone line for at least 72 hours. This should allow your connection to return to the speed you should be getting.
If, after you have allowed for this 72 hour window, you are still getting slow speeds, please get back in contact with us.
Please do not hesitate to get back in touch online at http://contactus.plus.net or by phone on 0845 140 0200 if we can be of further assistance.
Kind regards,
I don't really understand why Plusnet have responded like this as it has nothing to do with my original question. The reason it appears I haven't been connected is because I have been using IPv6, and as I have mentioned the BT IP profile (bRAS) has been increased, the assumption that I have been turning off my router is incorrect as the profile wouldn't have risen if the router had been switched off.
Is it possible for the "current line speed" speed to be increased to 5000Kbps as per my original request? Could this issue of the ticket not being answered properly be raised in your internal systems as this is not the first time this has happened.
Thank you very much.
17 REPLIES 17
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Support Misunderstanding Tickets

I had just been thinking to myself that the old dictum that you should not switch your router off when not in use should not apply an longer to 21CN exchanges because the way that the DLM operates on those exchanges has been changed.  I know this is a bit off-topic from sjrinfroyle's request but I am correct, aren't I? 
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Plusnet Support Misunderstanding Tickets

I had a reason to complain the other day over the same reason.
I asked a question about overnight usage and the whole reply was geared to me upgrading despite the fact I never get near my 10 Gb download. It was because neither the time nor trouble had been taken IMO to read my ticket  correctly in the first place that caused me to complain.
I have since however had 2 very concise replies that answer my question admirably.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Thank you for responding ReedRichards. The issue of turning off your router is not nearly as serious as Plusnet make it out to be, you can safely turn off your router once or twice a day and restart the following day and your connection will be absolutely fine. If you turn off your router constantly DLM will act but not if you only turn it off a couple of times a day. I think Plusnet need to review some of their information and the information they give to their employees. What I don't know is whether this is a scripted reply or a custom reply, my guess is the former.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Thank you for responding Mayfly. The problem seems to be that Plusnet get a ticket and it has already filtered through to the person who looks at the problem and they post a scripted response. The problem is that the people who respond don't read the whole ticket and they don't seem to understand that what I asked has nothing to do with DLM. They could have responded in one line instead of giving me a massive response about DLM.
Hopefully one of the Plusnet staff will be on soon and they will be able to sort out my issue.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ReedRichards - I think in principle your theory SHOULD work, but while JoJo is still trying to establish why the new BT update system is not working reliably for everyone it is probably worth remaining cautious.
@sjrinfroyle - on my connection I get the full 8128Kbps sync and leave my router on 24/7 - EXCEPT during thunder storms as I live in an exposed position with overhead phone wiring on poles all the way to the exchange.  I find that speed is not affected by the odd overnight switch off.  HOWEVER I used to switch the router off if I was going to be away from home for more than a few days (in case of storms), but every time I came home I would find the BT  system had kicked in and knackered my profile (down to 2Mbps!) despite my router never showing anything other than the full 8128Kbps sync.  I see from your connection chart that you are offline for days at a time, and wonder if your line is affected in the same way as mine ?.  Now my router is left on 24/7, I keep a spare in case of lightning or other damage, and my network is physically isolated from the router using a wireless bridge (to void surges through network cables), and besides the router takes so little electricity it is not worth switching it off anyway.
I also agree that tickets are frequently not read properly and that has been a problem for as long as I remember.
In a recent example I was fixing one of "My Referrals" broken broadband connection, and in the fault ticket on their account I specifically requested that all replies be added to the ticket (so I could read what was said) and NOT to phone (as the customer is elderly, hopeless at using the phone, and will not understand anything being told to them).  This was request ignored, and the customer received unintelligible support calls, which slowed down the repair of their line.  Then coincidently they started receiving SCAM calls from an Indian call centre, the one that asks you to look at log files on your computer, and of course "My Referral" thought it was someone from Plusnet trying to sort out their problem.   Aarrgg !
It didn't help that Plusnet were calling using "Number Withheld", as "My Referral" usually ignores those (for their own safety), but then in the online ticket it would say "we tried to call but nobody answered...",  so "My Referral" then started answering "Number Withheld" to accept support calls, so didn't think twice when the Indian Call centre called with  "Number Withheld" and immediately assumed it was Plusnet.
All because Plusnet staff don't read the ticket  Angry
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi guys, I think on 21CN turning the router off doesn't pose the problems it used to, but erring on the side of caution I would say that if a low sync event triggered the PN profile to lower it could cause you issues until that lifts again.
@sjrinfroyle. Hmm, not quite the answer you were looking for. I'll make sure the agent receives feedback about that. That said, your BT IP profile is still showing as 5000. Can you post the results of a BT speed test here?
Jojo Smiley
DeeDeeDee
Dabbler

Hi
I know very little re computers n routers
When i got the BB switched on i was pucking up 5.16mbps which after 2 days incresed to 7.16mbps and settled. Yesterday it was going very slow and i have checked today and it back down to 4.79mbps. Will it go back up?
Sorry posted in wrong section
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Quote from: Joanne
Hmm, not quite the answer you were looking for. I'll make sure the agent receives feedback about that. That said, your BT IP profile is still showing as 5000.

Thank you for responding Joanne, I realise that the IP profile is set at 5000Kbps but the Plusnet profile is set to 3Mb and this hasn't increased so would it be possible for you to increase this manually?
Can you post the results of a BT speed test here?

I am not at home at the moment but I will be later and I will post the results then.
Thank you very much Joanne.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi sjrinfroyle,
It's definitely 5000, and I've even ran a consistency check to make sure the bRAS and the DSLAM match and that's fine too. I've moved it up to 5000 on our side now, so you should see that shortly.
Jojo Smiley
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

It's definitely 5000, and I've even ran a consistency check to make sure the bRAS and the DSLAM match and that's fine too. I've moved it up to 5000 on our side now, so you should see that shortly.

Thank you very much Joanne.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Good morning,
Joanne, would it be possible for you to post a connection graph for the last few days?
Thank you.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

There you go! Smiley
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Thank you Joanne.
How is the connection looking from your end? More stable than before?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That is from our end Smiley