Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Router Query

jonesypeter
Dabbler

Plusnet Router Query

Hi,
When I connect via an Ethernet cable I get around 60mbs which is super, however when I use wireless I get between 20 and 25mbs
I have three laptops all recent all all have 802n wireless cards in them.  Is there some setting I have missed so I can get a faster connection on wireless?
Thanks
Peter Jones
9 REPLIES 9
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Plusnet Router Query

There aren't any settings to increase 11n wireless speeds in the router webpages.
The capabilities of 11n devices can vary a lot - are all the laptops "n300" or better?
jonesypeter
Dabbler

Thanks for the quick reply.  All I know is that its a 'Dell Wireless 1901 802.11 a/b/g/n'
Thanks
st1967
Grafter

It's the magic that is black art of Wifi.
Are you sure there are no "G" devices also using your wifi?  Things like old smartphones or games consoles (Wii or PS3) etc.  If you run a mixed speed network you are bound by the slowest device?
If there are no G devices then switch the router to N only.
Personally since getting unlimited fibre I have run a secondary wireless access point (basically an old netgear router) as separate G only wifi and all my old kit uses that.  I then set my main router as N only.  You can also tweak the settings for Green Field and the like but that is all about conforming to the N wireless standards which is quite strict.
In my case I can get the N laptops to speedtest at 40mb at a push, which isn't brilliant when my fibre runs at 72mb but it's acceptable.
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

What type of router are you using?
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Quote from: st1967
Are you sure there are no "G" devices also using your wifi?  Things like old smartphones or games consoles (Wii or PS3) etc.  If you run a mixed speed network you are bound by the slowest device?

A common misconception. Why would it be necessary for all the devices to be able to receive something transmitted only to a particular device? That said, the speed reduction due to the protection mechanisms might slow things down a lot.
If there are no G devices then switch the router to N only.

Such a setting is meaningless if you don't have any 11g devices. And if you did, it would stop them being able to join your network. It wouldn't be permitted under the 802.11 specifications to disable the protection mechanisms which are there for all users of the channel, not just your network. Besides, there is no 11n only setting on the 582n. I'm not sure if Green Field gets enabled automatically if there aren't any non Green Field devices detected.
Dell Wireless 1901 appears to be n300 (2x2). General wifi advice is to try different channels: 1, 6, 11 and maybe also 13 then any of the other in-between channels. Maybe upgrade to the 10.2 firmware if you're using the 582n router.
st1967
Grafter

Quote from: ejs

Such a setting is meaningless if you don't have any 11g devices. And if you did, it would stop them being able to join your network. It wouldn't be permitted under the 802.11 specifications to disable the protection mechanisms which are there for all users of the channel, not just your network.

I don't think you read my post correctly,  I'm not talking about disabling protection mechanisms.  All I'm telling him to do is set the wifi as "N" speed only.    I know 11g devices would not be able to join which is why I have a separate Wifi point set to "G"speed only on my network.
The OP was complaining about slow wifi, mixed mode devices can cause this.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

All I'm telling him to do is set the wifi as "N" speed only.   

That's not possible with the plusnet TG582n.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

And your "N only" network will still be slowed down by 11g devices on a nearby network using the same channel.
It's the moving your G devices to a different network and channel that affects the speed, not the selecting of the "N only" setting.
st1967
Grafter

Such a helpful bunch here.
I only told the OP to split his G & N traffic which is a perfectly good solution to slow network speeds, there's no reason to talk to me like I am an idiot.  I do this for a living so I do know what I am talking about.
OP, I get 40mb from my N network so you should get better speeds, the experts will tell you how.