cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Profile

Ratbert
Dabbler

Plusnet Profile

Is anyone able to tell the what use the plusnet profile "Current line speed" serves? beyond making my life difficult...
The issue:
Today I buy a game on steam, it's 13GB and my sync speed is usually 5000, enough for the 4.2 profile.
Last night my connection dropped and sync speed dropped to 4600, I get a 4.0 plusnet profile (3.75Mb speedtest result).
So I reset my modem, reconnect the pppoe session on my pfsense router.. connect at a wonderful 5947 and start the download and then... 3.75Mb download....
Not good, I check my BT profile with the wholesale speed test: 5.25Mb
I check plusnet, still 4.0Mb. I call support for a slightly animated discussion about trying to get my plusnet profile changed, I reconnect the pppoe session and downloads are now 4.9Mb as expected. Why doesn't it update with the 88% with the connection like BT does?

So, with all this in mind, what is the *plusnet* profile on my account for? If it has no bearing on my BT dlm or profile, why do I have to wait for it to update? (sometimes it never does, sometimes it's weeks)
All it seems to be doing is providing me a CAPPED download speed even when my connection is at times, capable of going faster with an instantly updating BT bras profile (asdl2 has been so much better for me on a long line than adsl max).
Also why are support unable to simply leave it at a maximum value that will never be reached. so that it won't ever cap my download speeds once the BT profile has updated? All they could suggest is raise the issue (slow/non existent updating) as a speed fault, it's not a line/speed fault, the line hasn't dropped sync for *months* and I don't want to go through the training etc again as it takes an age to settle down.
I just don't know why I can't download as fast as the line (and bt profile) determines.
2 REPLIES 2
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Plusnet Profile

1. Plusnet are not supposed to send data towards the BTWholesale network faster than your line could handle.
2. Plusnet's traffic prioritisation can't work without knowing your line speed.
See: https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,114083.msg1088195.html#msg1088195
Ratbert
Dabbler

Re: Plusnet Profile

So to stop me receiving more than I can handle (such as a ddos etc) then I lose out up to 5% of a already very slow connection?
Why can't it match the BT profile instead and be more prompt about it? Sad
For something that seems to be so vital to the customer experience it seems to be very hit and miss.
Makes me miss talktalk sometimes  Shocked