Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Profile Stuck

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Plusnet Profile Stuck

For a few days now the BT tester is showing an IP profile of  6411 while Plusnet has been stuck on 5000.
15 REPLIES 15
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Plusnet Profile Stuck

Hi, I've changed it to 5500 which is more appropriate for your sync rate.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Just had a thought....I've changed it up to 6500 now as that should stop any further artificial restrictions.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
billnotben
Community Veteran

Thanks that's quick and 6500 is nearer the mark for a ip profile of 6411 / connection rate of 7267.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Just wondering why does BT matched sync rate speed to the IP Profile rate eg: if the sync at 7267 then why not put IP Profile at 7267K and Plusnet Profile at 7267K as well, does it make any sense ?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The difference is to account for the overheads.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

sorry to ask this, what is overheads ?
itsme
Grafter

I thought it was because BT will drop the packets if they can not be transmitted. As the speed is not a precise art to allow a margin the BT profile will be lower than the sync so if more packets are sent above the profile speed then these will still be delivered and not dropped. So stopping data from being requested to be sent again.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have a read of http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/data_transmission.htm
There's a lot of other very useful information on that site.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
SarcasticGuy1
Grafter

I'm surprised that _Adam_Walker_ could just change your profile.
I had an issue like this on Monday and phone up support to ask if they could update my profile from 1250Kbps to 3500Kbps to be in line with what BT were saying but was told that it couldn't be updated unless they restarted the 10 day training period and that I would have to wait for a week or so for Plus.net system to update themselves normally.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

That a painful long waiting, no wonder we all hate BT! I just glad I had cable speed of 100 Meg with no profile!
BT - Time to scrap stupid profile or BT will lose many customers soon.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: SarcasticGuy1
I had an issue like this on Monday and phone up support to ask if they could update my profile from 1250Kbps to 3500Kbps to be in line with what BT were saying but was told that it couldn't be updated unless they restarted the 10 day training period and that I would have to wait for a week or so for Plus.net system to update themselves normally.

The change Adam made was to the Plusnet Current line speed "profile", not the BT one. In your case it's possible there was a profile mismatch across BT systems, one value being shown to you but a different one to Plusnet CS. If that is the case restarting the training period is the "quick fix".
David
billnotben
Community Veteran

Quote from: SarcasticGuy1

For straightforward things I've found the forum better than the helpline.
It seems, for me anyway, that my profile does have the odd tendency to get stuck since getting the odd BT profiles like 6411 and Plusnet staff have always been very helpful in putting it right. Also allowing scope for the "odd bit".
Though the allowance for the odd bit does have a tendency to revert back to what the normal profile would be.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

Yes, the forum seem better than helpline via member centre ticket as they did promise my mum's line to removed upload cap via reply from ticket on plusnet helpline but it never happen and she still stuck at 445K upstream. BT not done anything for her. She also on ADSL2+
linux
Grafter

Is there not a danger that forum support merely addresses the symptoms of a problem rather than the underlying causes?
In this case an intervention with the OP's Plusnet profile has solved the immediate problem, but nobody is asking why the problem arose in the first place. Perhaps there exists a bug in the software or configuration or whatever which has kept the line speed unnecessarily low. Was such a bug found and fixed? If not, will it keep recurring?