Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Profile Nudge

DeclanTM
Grafter

Plusnet Profile Nudge

Hi,
Could a member of Plusnet staff please give my profile a nudge?
Syncing at the full 80/20 on Unlimited Fibre, BT speedtest shows IP Profile of 77.44 however Plusnet profile seems stuck at 60.5 for some reason.
BT screenshot attached.
Thanks,
Declan
8 REPLIES 8
DeclanTM
Grafter

Re: Plusnet Profile Nudge

Any staff on the forums that can action this?
I have looked at the call centre stats and there is currently 101 calls waiting so don't fancy waiting ages on the phone.
Thanks,
Declan
NorthPole
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

What rather puzzles me is which IP profile dictates your maximum downstream speed, BT's or Plusnet's? I discovered yesterday that my BT profile is 7.6 Mbps, whereas when I last checked Plusnet showed 6Mbps. Tests on several speedtest sites gave a consistent maximum speed of 6Mbps downstream (I connected by cable to the router for the purpose), which does make me wonder if Plusnet are capping me at that figure. Will the two profiles eventually align themselves so I get something nearer the BT figure?
DeclanTM
Grafter

I'm 99% sure it is whichever is lowest. My BT profile is at 77.44 whereas Plusnet profile is only at 60.5 and when running speed tests I am only getting 58 so looks like the Plusnet profile is holding it back.
Plusnet base their profile on what your BT profile is however it seems sometimes this communication doesn't work and your Plusnet profile can be lacking as appears in both our cases.
The only thing to sort this is to get Plusnet to reset the profile to match the BT one.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Tweaked.  You might get reconnected/need to reconnect. 
Howszat?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
DeclanTM
Grafter

That's done the trick.
Thanks,
Declan
NorthPole
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: DeclanTM
The only thing to sort this is to get Plusnet to reset the profile to match the BT one.

Raised a ticket to that effect and this morning I got 7.3Mbps over a wireless connection as against 6Mbps wired on Sunday - result! As mentioned, my BT is profile is 7.6Mbps and the Plusnet profile has been raised to match. But I'm still left with two questions:
i) shouldn't the Plusnet profile automatically follow the BT one without requiring intervention? - judging by the number of requests in this Forum, it's a lot of work for Plusnet Support having to do this time and time again for customers;
ii) how do either BT or Plusnet set the profile without running any speed tests (or do they?), and what purpose does it serve anyway? I can see that there may be a slight reduction in the number of re-sent error packets if the downstream speed is too fast for the receiving device to handle, and hence a fall in overall data traffic on the backhaul, but that can't be much in the great scheme of things? Why not just set a target SNR (usually 3, 6 or 9 dB according to line stability) like LLU ISP's do, and leave it at that?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Northpole,
In answer to your questions:

i) shouldn't the Plusnet profile automatically follow the BT one without requiring intervention? - judging by the number of requests in this Forum, it's a lot of work for Plusnet Support having to do this time and time again for customers;

Yes, it should. We've been looking into this and a problem is being investigated at present.
ii) how do either BT or Plusnet set the profile without running any speed tests (or do they?), and what purpose does it serve anyway? I can see that there may be a slight reduction in the number of re-sent error packets if the downstream speed is too fast for the receiving device to handle, and hence a fall in overall data traffic on the backhaul, but that can't be much in the great scheme of things? Why not just set a target SNR (usually 3, 6 or 9 dB according to line stability) like LLU ISP's do, and leave it at that?

The profile is derived from the sych speed the router connects at, that can happen as the result of a disconnection/reconnection (if the sync is detected at a different rate when reconnecting) or via DLM changes (dynamic line management) which forces a resync if a change is seen in the interim.
So to cut a long story short we're sorry and well aware of the pain this is causing some customers and ourselves and hope to make an improvement on this as soon as we can.
Adam

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
NorthPole
Aspiring Pro

Adam,
Thanks - good to know that something's on the way.