cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Pro add on for Fibre - any point in keeping it now ?

DuncanM
Grafter

Plusnet Pro add on for Fibre - any point in keeping it now ?

I'm on Fibre Extra with he £5.00 Pro add on. I just checked here which was updated on the 23/8/12 http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml
I see the most of the restrictions have now been lifted (wish i had kept a copy of the previous tables where most things were throttled back) and as I am pretty sure I don't use the only two that are restricted to 2 MB (not really sure what they are for)  I should probably save myself the £5 a month and remove it. I only added six months ago it to ensure I could watch Iplayer in HD on my big TV.
Thoughts anyone ? Any downside to removing it ?
12 REPLIES 12
houlton23
Grafter

Re: Plusnet Pro add on for Fibre - any point in keeping it now ?

Chances are if you don't know what P2P (peer to peer file sharing) and FTP are then you don't use them.
I still have the old table for Fibre Extra:
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

If your not using P2P or External FTP then it probably isn't something you will need. You can remove it and always re-add it if you did need it.
bluewhale
Rising Star

Quote from: chrispurvey
You can remove it and always re-add it if you did need it.

i was one of the FTTC trialists and also have the pro addon, am i correct in thinking that my package is almost the same as Plusnet Value Fibre
apart from FTP/p2p and that i'm still capped at 20gb usage?
also would be nice if my usage could be increased to 40gb as an act of good faith ( IMHO ) without me having to go through paying for an 'upgrade' etc...
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Your package is very similar to the Value fibre package, you can compare the products <a href="http://usergroup.plus.net/prodcomp1.php>here</a>.
With the current package you are currently on, it would be worth changing to our Extra package(60GB) and having the pro add-on. This would be the same price and actually give slightly better priority.
I had presumed you had been placed back to ADSL as you were still on the Pro package. So this wouldn't apply to you, although it may be worth looking at the Value fibre package at the same price.
StuartUK35
Grafter

I pay for the PRO Service, but will be taking it off as of next billing date (reminder set)...
When i first had fibre, i had to have pro as my 40mb 'value' line became an average throttled line of 5mb between 8am and 12am (3 qtr's of the day).
Could have had the 'extra' package, but still would have been an average throttled 10mb service for 3 qtr's of the day... (although did move to the extra part when i did the 80/20 trial)
Now the 80 trial has finished, and i pay for the extra package with pro addon, the way i test things for throughput, and consistency makes me wonder if the PRO package is a load of B...........  (no offense PN staff, much respect to you guys.. Smiley )
So if the new info states line speed for most data, and capped Peer traffic for evenings, then fair enough, time to get rid of Pro.........
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Pro add-on will still give higher priorities, but in for some customers it may not make any difference depending on how you use the internet and what you use it for.
bluewhale
Rising Star

Quote from: chrispurvey
Pro add-on will still give higher priorities

in what way, according to the tables it's just ftp and p2p file sharing?
also will i be charged that £25 for doing very little?
like i say though would be nice if my allowance could be bumped up to 40gb for free as it'd bring me into line...
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Priority is different to rate limits.
P2P is still in Bronze on Fibre.  With Pro, it is in Gold.  This means little in times when the network is very quiet, but at peak hours (and during events such as last nights IOS6 release) traffic in higher queues take priority when the network gets full.
Pro removes those peak time rate limits on the P2P/Usenet/FTP traffic and also elevates everything to a minimum queue of Gold.
This does bring with it a risk that your P2P could impact your streaming performance (i.e. it will fight with your streaming because it is held at the same priority) but we'd expect you to understand that if you had selected Pro,  Time sensitive traffic such as VoIP should be unaffected by that is it will still be prioritised above the gold traffic by being in titanium.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
bluewhale
Rising Star

so any chance of us ex fttc trialist having our allowance of 20gb brought upto 40gb
would be a nice gesture i feel and i doubt it would impact you much
i'm mostly under 20gb, but every now and then i run close...
and i'm avoiding watching the bbc on it which is a shame...
James
Grafter

Why not just change to the Fibre Value product?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@bluewhale,
The big problem with doing that is we'd have to change the product design for everyone (fibre and non-fibre) for the product you're on. To increase your usage you'd need to switch to one of the current fibre products.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
bluewhale
Rising Star

ok fair enough...