cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Pro Package Ping Spikes

c0dec
Grafter

Plusnet Pro Package Ping Spikes

I am a semi-pro online gamer and need a stable low latency connection, I have had the Plusnet pro package for best part of 2 years and it has been amazing, really stable and constantly giving me decent pings to all uk servers and playable pings across the globe. However since last week randomly in the evenings my ping will randomly spike up to around 70-100ms. The only real way to fix this is to reconnect my ADSL connection to get another gateway, whilst this isn’t the end of the world it is very annoying and I haven’t had to do this at all for the first 2 years usage with Plusnet apart from on the very odd occasion.
Is this purely down to over subscribed pipes/gateways? This was the issue with the previous 2 isps where my ping would spike badly when the net was busy. Being on the Pro Package I thought I should get around all of this? I know the problem wasnt local to be as changing gateways solved it.
Also to add this is nothing to do with my download speeds or sync rate, these are both fine, I get a stable 8128Kbps on my 3com router and when I do download in peek time which is very rare for anything big, I sit stable around 800k/sec which im more than happy with. What I am just getting at is my ping times which seem to be higher than normal 7-11pm, which is 90% of the time I use my connection.
Kind Regards
Dan
2 REPLIES 2
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Plusnet Pro Package Ping Spikes

See http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,76055.0.html
I'm seeing highly variable ping times like you.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

Re: Plusnet Pro Package Ping Spikes

Hi Guys,
If you have a look at the attached graph, which shows customers connected per LTS.
You'll see that we're still considerably out of balance of dropping half our centrals (Thanks BT!) yesterday morning.
Ideally, we'd like to restore balance without forcing customers to reconnect, so hopefully things will improve over the weekend.
FWIW - Those lines should all look be aligned on a balanced network.