Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Pro Add-On

DangerMouseUK
Dabbler

Plusnet Pro Add-On

Hi Guys,
Can I get a definitive recent answer to this question;
If I'm on an unlimited contracted ADSL plan is the Plusnet Pro Add-On needed ?
Or am I just wasting £5.00 a month.
Thanks
DM
8 REPLIES 8
DangerMouseUK
Dabbler

Re: Plusnet Pro Add-On

Also separately but I'll append it here, I seem to be syncing at 13000kbps or something
Had 7 RX CRC errors in 30mins
So two things, is the SNR ok where it is ?
Why am I getting 10 meg on a 13 meg sync ?
Can someone just do a quality check on my line and look at those two points ?
Thanks (oh and the above point too :-))
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: DangerMouseUK
If I'm on an unlimited contracted ADSL plan is the Plusnet Pro Add-On needed ?

The Pro add-on was a feature which was made available many years ago for legacy packages sold before the current 'unlimited' products,  Those legacy products had traffic shaping of different protocols, which provided significantly reduced bandwidth at peak usage times, for protocols such as P2P, FTP, VPN, etc.  The Pro add-on was a method which allowed the customer to choose to unrestrict the bandwidth those protocols, if the bandwidth limiting was causing a problem.  The traffic shaping was probably applied to those products because Plusnet had a limited capacity to the wider internet, and the entire pipe would get filled with P2P traffic, to such an extent that normal traffic was impacted at peak tmes, or that the P2P slowed so much that it became unusable, depending on the conditions at that time of day.
Your 'unlimited' ADSL plan is not affected by this legacy traffic shaping, but is influenced by Plusnet's traffic prioritization.
If you are in a household that shares the internet connection with other people who use the connection for normal web browsing, watching videos, downloading, etc, then everyone should have a better experience WITHOUT the Pro add-on, because Plusnet traffic prioritization should give the best utilization of your download bandwidth for typical usage patterns.
If your connection download bandwidth isn't fully utilized, then traffic prioritization will not be having a noticeable effect, therefore it doesn't matter whether the Pro add-on is active or not, so would be a waste of money.
If you are the only user of your connection, and the download bandwidth is heavily utilized, and you specifically need a higher proportion of that bandwidth allocated to otherwise low-priority protocols such as P2P, FTP, and VPN (or play a game which hasn't been correctly prioritized yet), then there may be circumstances in which the Pro add-on might help, but you will also lose some responsiveness when doing real time activities such as browsing, and watching videos, etc.
Generally the Pro add-on should NOT be needed on the current 'unlimited' products.
As the Pro add-on is easily enabled/disabled, try switching it off and see whether you notice any difference, then you can decide for yourself whether it is worth £5/month to you, and if it is then you can always switch it back on.
On ADSL if you are looking for better responsiveness, you might be better off spending that £5/month on a better router which does a decent job of upstream QoS (Quality of Service), and making sure that your connection is not suffering from BufferBloat.
Wink
etdsaunders
Pro
Fixes: 7

Quote from: DangerMouseUK
Why am I getting 10 meg on a 13 meg sync ?

You get 88% of sync speed, so you should be getting around 11mb. https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed visit that link and report back what Estimated line speed & Current line speed.
Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
If you Like it, give it a Thumbs_Up
DangerMouseUK
Dabbler

Estimated line speed:

7Mb (This may vary between 6.5Mb and 8.5Mb) - Checked on 2016-04-01 01:38:59

Current line speed:

11.7 Mb

But that's not the current line speed I'm synced at 14000kbps or a bit more . . .

etdsaunders
Pro

If you are synced at 14mb (ish) then current line speed is fine at 11.7mb. Thumbs_Up

Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
DangerMouseUK
Dabbler

13350kbps SNR Margin of 1 ?

Just under 11mbit on a speed test - online checker shows 11.7 ?

etdsaunders
Pro

You get 88% of sync speed, the snr increase or is it still at 1db?

If it's still low, hopefully a member of staff can check your line and if no faults are found maybe to reset profile to 6db.
Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
BenB
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 20

Hi DangerMouseUK

I have checked your line connection and everything is running at a stable connection rate and looking good. If you do find that your dropping again then please don't hesitate to raise this with our faults team at faults.plus.net so that they can further investigate this for you.