cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Premium Query

Zap
Grafter

Plusnet Premium Query

I considered upgrading to Plusnet Premium but the following statement concerns me:
** - Plusnet Premium Broadband starts at £11.99 a month for the first 3 months. If you live in one of our low cost areas you'll then pay £15.99 a month thereafter. If you live outside of one of these areas you'll then pay £19.99 a month thereafter.
I might have put up with £16 a month, but why should I have to pay £20 a month because there is a lack of investment in the network.
Also I am so fed up of this uncontrolled industry locking people in with 12 month and 18 month contracts, so I was pleased to see the Plusnet "NO CONTACT OPTION"  which says

Don't want a contract? Perhaps you're a student or living in temporary accommodation.
Pay a one-off setup fee of £30 and have the freedom to leave Plusnet when you choose with 10 days' notice and no penalties.
Alternatively, take a 12 month contract and you'll only be charged for your setup and router if you leave within 12 months of signing up.

Can someone at Plusnet tell me whether this includes the laterly and unilaterally imposed unfair contract term where BT charges you for terminating a line when you leave a property (even though you paid for Broadband to be installed in the first place AND they are going to charge the incumbant again for flipping the same electronic software switch)?

3 REPLIES 3
Mand
Grafter

Re:Plusnet Premium Query

Hi there,
The price is not higher in certain places because of a lack of investment, it's dependent on whether there is a high LLU presence in your exchange. You can find out more about this here.
The setup fee applies to new customers signing up, and not to existing customers upgrading.
All of our broadband accounts include the cessation charge, including the one you're currently signed up to. Absorbing this cost is not feasible to us as a business, but it's worth noting that if you do ever decide to leave us (though I can't think why you would ;)) migrating to another ISP won't cost you a penny.
Zap
Grafter

Re: Plusnet Premium Query

Hi Mand
Clearly if an exchange is NOT a "market 3" exchange as defined in the link you posted then there has been less investment.
"There's 4 or more different providers of broadband (including BT) Or there's 4 or more forecasted providers and more than 10,000 properties served"
Each of those 4 or more providers has decided to make an investment, hence the lack of investment in my exchange. 
The broadband market is such a mess with customers being exploited left right and centre, with OFCOM either toothless or incompetent or both.  Perhaps we will get a level playing field when the Government charges every landline telephone user 50p a month for broadband whether they use it or not.  Next we will be paying for food we don't eat.
I signed up with you before the cessation charge was implemented and I have no intention of paying it as and when I leave, it is a unilaterally imposed unfair contract term and I will go to court to argue the matter on principle.  I paid for it to be installed, so why should I pay twice and when I move I know the next person will be charged again for the same property when no physical work will be done.. 
I know you will argue that people were given the option to cease service but this was tantamount to holding a gun to our heads and with the monopoly in place we had no choice at all.
I have no plans to leave Plusnet but I may be moving, when that happens I may be looking for an ISP that will take on this cost.

Mand
Grafter

Re:Plusnet Premium Query

I see your point, but that's not investment we can control. The cost of setting up an LLU network is so great that it stands to reason providers are only going to do this somewhere where they are likely to see a return on costs.
For example, my exchange serves around 1500 users, with the (relatively slim) profits to be made on broadband, would you consider it sensible to spend many thousands of pounds unbundling it?
As for the cessation charge, when you signed up, we didn't have to pay it either, but now we do, hence passing this on. I think it's worth mentioning that the vast majority of people do not pay this, as they migrate away rather than cease outright.