cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Network Capacity

faulknerwhitele

Plusnet Network Capacity

Hello,
There are ongoing issues with our connection, in which we have been advised to record our speeds, as support believes there is a capacity issue with out particular exchange.
This evening, our speed has dropped to under 2mb. This has been tested with an ethernet cable. This article has caused me some concern, as clearly there is a bigger issue: http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/01/uk-isp-plusnet-quietly-swaps-to-a-dedicated-wbmc-networ...
I was quoted 11Mb broadband when I joined, but am receiving considerably less than this at peak times. Please could this be resolved?
Thank you.
4 REPLIES 4
faulknerwhitele

Re: Plusnet Network Capacity

This morning, we are getting a solid 11.3Mb
Last night, BT Wholesale indicated we were receiving 11.34Mb, but every other speed test such as Ookla were giving back results of 2-3Mb. iPlayer kept buffering etc. Are results deliberately inflated by openreach to reduce complaints? There are other threads on the Plusnet forums which have also mentioned this. Perhaps this needs a referral to Ofcom? Something is problematic within the Plusnet/BT network - we are plugged into the test socket so this is definitely not us.
AndyH
Grafter

Quote from: faulknerwhiteley
This article has caused me some concern, as clearly there is a bigger issue: http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2016/01/uk-isp-plusnet-quietly-swaps-to-a-dedicated-wbmc-networ...

I'm not quite sure why this article should cause you concern.
If there are capacity problems with your exchange (SVLAN) then Plusnet's new network won't make any difference unfortunately (and it will also be affecting other non-LLU ISP users).
Which exchange are you on?
faulknerwhitele

Thank you for replying - my concern would be service/speed continuity whilst this change goes ahead.
My exchange is LWSHE - is there a way I could look into capacity issues? Support already indicated there were issues, they asked me to gather evidence. Although I'm sure this would help, why should the customer undertake this task?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Such service changes are quite transparent to you, so don't feet.
The best way to profile an exchange capacity issue is (if your router supports WAN side ping - the 2704n does not) is to establish and run a TBB BQM.
The reasin that end users need to do this is that ISPs do not have the means of monitoring an individual' line without burning the user's bandwidth (even if they have the technology).  Such decisions must be the end user's.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.