cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet? 'M i n u s'net more like...

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Plusnet? 'M i n u s'net more like...

@Bustermagic
It does look like the connection rate has stabilised - at least up until just after one o'clock when the connection dropped and according to a line test I've just run is still out of sync. Has the router been turned off deliberately, or is this a manifestation of the fault you've been noticing?
Sixbomb
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Has this customer actually got a problem? On another topic it has become apparent that he is complaining about Rapidshare and Megaupload being rate restricted on Pro when he is actually on Premium.

I'm actually on 'Premium' (my mistake, in more sense than one), but yes there is a fault.
Bustermagic
Grafter

Thanks for your quick reply - it's a shame that customers receive a better service through the forums rather than from the support/fault pages.
We've had a power outage here so my router was switched off.
If the router is stable and my sync is around 2000 to 2300kbps does that mean that's the fastest speeds I can expect - how come a different supplier can offer and provide better for less money?Huh
Can I also switch interleaving off,, I was told that my line stats should be ok to support it when my it was estimated at 4mb and  was also the main reason I signed up?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You need to look at the detailed stats provided by your router if you can to see how many errors are corrected by having interleaving on. If it is few you'd be safe turning interleaving off, but if it is a lot you may (note the word may) get a faster line at the expense of a lot of instability.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Bustermagic
Grafter

Thanks Jelv, this is my router stat page which has only been up for an hour so probably won't be helpful yet - which figures should I look out for and what would be acceptable?  Thanks
Updated stats after 7hours
BT Line test - this is the best speed I have ever got - used to get a min of 3mb download with interleaving on - now I only receiving this at a max
Download speedachieved during the test was - 1834 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :2304 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2000 Kbps
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I'm not familiar with your router but to me those figures don't look too bad so far. The errored seconds (ES) is relatively low as is the number of corrected errors. I think taking interleaving off might be worth a try if the figures keep on the same way. What does anyone else think?
How much variation do you see on the downstream SNR?
Bustermagic
Grafter

My router is a Netgear DG834GT and my snr has been around 9 to 10db although it used to be around 6 to 6.5db with my old provider.  Thanks
amcclean
Rising Star

i moved frpm pro to premuim last week. I had first looked at the expected speeds and the new premuim profile for the different protocols, ftp etc and download servers. Gold plated read ok to me at first.
I transfered to premuim and the next day after realising that many of my speeds had decresed under the profile i swapped back to pro.  A re-boot later and although I am back to 20Gb limit i have a great set of download speeds no matter where I am downloading from.
The service i have recived from PN in the last 4 plus years has been excellent. Personally i wold stay with a company that knows what it is doing and has properly trained its staff.
did you request a change back to pro?
podman
alsim1972
Dabbler

Quote from: Chris
Hi sixbomb,
Sorry to hear of the problems you've been having. Part of it is down to an issue during the account change over to your new product (Plusnet Premium) which caused your line profile on our side to be set to 2000. I've now corrected this back to 7150 as that's the IP profile for your line, if you reboot your modem/router this should allow these speeds to start coming through.
The other part may be the slowdowns that other customers have been seeing recently. Can you provide the results of a BT Speedtest, a test at www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk and a traceroute to each site too?

My problem is exactly the same... was getting speeds upto 8 meg then went down to 5 meg after the adsl2 line upgrade thingy!! Now after up/downgrading from Plusnet Unlimited to Premium my up speed is better than my downspeed

Can you look at my profile please?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I'm 100% certain your problem is not an incorrect profile due to the account change - you would get a speed test result of 1700-1800 if it was.
It looks like you've had problems with your line like a lot of disconnections - have you rebooted your router a lot?
Please post the results from a BT speed test.
Sixbomb
Grafter

Tonight's stats...
Sixbomb
Grafter

So I buy a new modem router (Belkin), install it, get it connected this afternoon and...same slow speeds.  Looks like the fault was with the line along, which is what I've said all along...
To cap it all I have had a reply to my ticket asking if I have a connection problem. Unbelievable.
So, Plusnet, are you now going to actually try and sort this out (and whilst you're at it refund me for nearly four months of substandard serivce and a new router I didn't need to buy) or just prevaricate a bit longer and deny that there is a poblem of too many users and not enough capacity?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Can you post the results from a BT speed test please.
Sixbomb
Grafter

Is anyone from Plusnet actually going to reply to this thread (or answer my two open questions, for that matter) ?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

[me=jelv]gives up - he obviously doesn't want the help of the community :([/me]