cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet? 'M i n u s'net more like...

Sixbomb
Grafter

Plusnet? 'M i n u s'net more like...

So, I change from my old Plusnet account to the new Premium (not Pro!) one and as a result experience appalingly slow speeds - down from 700k/s to anything form 30k/s-200k/s - laughable for an alleged 20mb service.
I read this forum and note that I am not alone.  Too many punters and not enought network capacity? Surely not!  So I follow all the fault tests and now Plusnet blame BT, so now nothing happens.  I'm not impressed and have begun actively looking for a new provider.  Any recommendations?  Only qualifying criteria is that they do actually offer the service you pay for and don't have customer service which does little other than try and shunt the problem on to someone else.
Seven years of being with Plusnet and this is the service I receive. Pathetic.
39 REPLIES 39
paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Plusnet? 'M i n u s'net more like...

Pro speeds are very poor this afternoon, I think PN must have major problems (again). Snow got into the pipes  Sad
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi sixbomb,
Sorry to hear of the problems you've been having. Part of it is down to an issue during the account change over to your new product (Plusnet Premium) which caused your line profile on our side to be set to 2000. I've now corrected this back to 7150 as that's the IP profile for your line, if you reboot your modem/router this should allow these speeds to start coming through.
The other part may be the slowdowns that other customers have been seeing recently. Can you provide the results of a BT Speedtest, a test at www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk and a traceroute to each site too?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Sixbomb
Grafter

Just done a speedtest and I'm getting almost 700 k/s a second now - a marked improvement!
Thanks Chris
Sixbomb
Grafter

...and back down we go to 30k per second - the worst yet.
Without asking, I get sent not one but two engineers on different days asking to fix a number which has long since been disconnected from my flat.  Laughable.  
Time for a change of ISP I think!
PS the first engineer laughed when i said my 'best' speed had been 6meg - he said that I was so near the exchange it should 'be at least 8 meg, if not a lot, lot more'.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Sixbomb,
Apologies for the unannounced engineers - the fault states that they did need to get an engineer out to the exchange to fix a network issue but these are normally done in the same way as regular engineers - we would book an appointment with yourself and arrange this with BT in case the engineer does need to attend your premises.
In this case unfortunately the engineer was sent out without notification to ourselves or you, for which I apologise. We're just in the process of talking to BT now to find out what's happening with the fault so I'll update shortly.
Sixbomb
Grafter

21k per second this morning...  Appalling.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've updated the fault ticket, BT are now wanting to send a broadband engineer to investigate the fault from your premises. If you could update the ticket when you're available we'll get this booked as soon as we can.
Sixbomb
Grafter

Thanks for your assistance, Matt, but I won't be arranging that.
I've had enough and have asked the support team for my MAC code so I can move ISP.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

If it is a line issue unless you go to a LLU supplier you will take the problem with you.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Well, if we can do anything to persuade you to stay then please let me know. It'll be a shame to lose you as a customer. Unfortunately given that this is a dropping connection issue Adiewoo is right, it's a fault on the line rather than with our service. Even if you're still intending to move away it's still better if we can continue the fault investigation, if you do want to please let us know.
Sixbomb
Grafter

Matt, if you read above, your colleague Chris sorted out my line last time by fixing something at your end. Is it the same issue?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Has this customer actually got a problem? On another topic it has become apparent that he is complaining about Rapidshare and Megaupload being rate restricted on Pro when he is actually on Premium.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Bustermagic
Grafter

This comment above and numerous others should be of concern to Plusnet!
I migrated from AOL box standard product in December where the min sync speed was 3000kbps, top sync was 5mb and the line seemed very stable.  Since joining Plusnet Pro, I too have been receiving slower sync speeds, 500kbps and below for the first three weeks this now has gone up but no where near my old ISP figures.
Plusnet estimated my line at 4mb and I'm currently lucky to get a 2mb sync and 1500kbps download.  One of the main reasons for migrating was that I am a gamer and wanted lower ping rates but have had to have interleaving switched back on to get the line stable enough to be able to browse the web.  Gaming at the moment is a joke as my ping rates hit anywhere from 40 to 110 leaving one game OK and the other very laggy.
Originally the problem was blamed on my equipment but nothing except the login was changed - I've even tried another router, had the router line plunged into the master socket for over a week and purchased new micro filters all at no benefit.  I'm currently paying an extra £6 per month for a worst experience/service than my previous box standard ISP product.  I know my line is capable of faster speeds as I used to get them but Plusnet just don't seem able to deliver.
As a new customer I get the impression that they got me into a contract, feed me a couple of responses, most of them automated on the fault ticketing system and just hope I will go away!!.  I too am seriously thinking of leaving.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi sixbomb,
This is something else I'm afraid - the test results on your fault ticket are showing a dropping connection issue, which is a fault somewhere between the exchange and your master socket (hence why we need to get an engineer out). Unfortunately altering your line profile on our side of things will make no difference in this case.