cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Line Speed Lagging

paulbay
Grafter

Plusnet Line Speed Lagging

After a few recent disconnection problems my BT profile is in the process of recovering and is up to 500 kbps so far. However the Plusnet setting is lagging behind at 250. It has been like this for a day and a half now. Could someone give it a nudge so that it matches the BT profile as 500, though not brilliant, would be a lot better than 250! As a matter of interest how long does it normally take the Plusnet speed to catch up with the BT profile (and does it take longer to drop than to rise)?
Thanks
20 REPLIES 20
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Plusnet Line Speed Lagging

Hi paulbay,
I've posted your connection logs below and the disconnections have caused the line to slow down. The BT profile is actually 135k at the moment but your sync rate is 1984k which would give a profile of 1500k if it stays stable. It looks like you've been switching your router off at night, but as you're waiting for the line to improve I wouldn't suggest switching it off. I will keep an eye on it and when it lifts I'll check ours. Our profile normally changes within 24 hours of the BT one.

Jojo Smiley
paulbay
Grafter

That's odd 'cos the BT speedtester is still saying 500K (yesterday and today)! Ah well, must be broken (or lying).
Rather annoyingly after connection problems of a few weeks ago things were finally settling down and I was getting stable connections of over 2000k but then I had a lot of problems Sunday and Monday - when using the phone both those days I had a terrible line and a lot of drop outs on the broadband. I reported it as a noisy line and since Monday I noticed that whenever I used the phone the SNR margin would drop 1.5 to 2 dbs. The BT engineer visited yesterday and tested the line (that was the drop at around 1;30 - 2:30). He said the line tested OK, but he changed the master socket and faceplate anyway. Since then no more margin drops when I use the phone and a stable connection, so I'm hopeful that it has fixed the problem, although I've never heard of a faulty master socket causing probs like that before. In the evening I had to turn everything off one more time, but since then have left it all going, so hopefully the BT profile will (eventually) reset. It's a shame that BT don't increase the profile with the same sort of alacrity that they drop the profile - it's almost like they want to punish us for having a bad line! I do normally turn the router (a Voyager 2091) off at night, because it gets so hot it is a fire risk (genuinely)! However I'm using a different router now which doesn't seem quite so hot (not very good for the planet though!).
Anyway I appreciate your help (as always).
Paul
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi paulbay,
Well, if that's the case then maybe we could consider resetting your SNR if you think that any noise issues may be cured. Your SNR is now 12dB so if we set it to 6dB we may be able to squeeze another 1500k or so sync out of your line. Once the profile is stable I can try this for you if you like.
Jojo Smiley
paulbay
Grafter

That's an interesting thought. I didn't realise that was possible. I am a bit nervous about it as I thought a lower SNR made the line potentially more unstable. I am right at the end of the line (literally - 5km from the exchange, the engineer said, at the end of a long cul-de-sac) so I never expect too much in the way of speed. Would it be safer to try a smaller drop first (say to 9db) and see if that holds OK. I am generally happy with 2 - 2.5 as it allows me to do what I need, but if we can squeeze a bit more safely out then...yes please! The engineer said that we could be getting fibre optic from the Yapton exchange within a couple of years and then all my problems will be over! I'll believe it when I see it.  Grin
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi paulbay,
Ok, I'll run a check tomorrow and let you know what I think.
Jojo Smiley
paulbay
Grafter

Everything seems back to normal now - back up to 1500 profile, and more importantly it seems stable. Over 2 days now with no blips (even when using the phone). Please let me know if you feel a lowering of my SNR would be beneficial and not too risky. It would be nice to be able to get a consistent connection over 2000.
Cheers
Paul
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi paulbay,
I think it'll be ok, especially as you said there was definitely an issue that had been fixed. I've seen it work for other but it's your call in the end.
Jojo Smiley
paulbay
Grafter

Shall we try pushing it down to 9db first and then see if that stays stable, or would it be better to go the whole hog to 6db?
Undecided
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI paulbay,
On ADSL1 I can only reset it to 6. I can't decide what to change it to. If the line performs better at 9 then that's what it will settle to anyway.
Jojo Smiley
paulbay
Grafter

OK I didn't realise that - I thought you were all powerful!  Smiley Lets give it a go then.
Thanks
Paul
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi paulbay,
Aw bless, I AM all powerful normally, sorry to disillusion you Sad
I'll do it now and get back to you shortly.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi paulbay,
I've requested that for you now, I'll check it's gone through in the next 30 minutes.
Jojo Smiley
paulbay
Grafter

Wow! 2880 and SNR margin steady'ish between 6 and 7. It might not sound much to some but for me it's the best I've ever had. Let's hope it stays like this. I'll see how it goes over the weekend, but it does look promising. Thanks Jojo you're a star!  Smiley
paulbay
Grafter

BT profile is 2500 already, but Plusnet lagging at 1500. I'm surprised that the BT one changed so quickly (how did that happen). That's OK though, presumably the Plusnet profile will catch up tomorrow sometime, and I'll be able to do LOADS of downloading (just have to find something worth downloading!).