cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet IP Profile vs BT BRAS Profile

trickyD
Dabbler

Plusnet IP Profile vs BT BRAS Profile

A bit of background; my plusnet performance has been getting perceptively slower over the last couple of months - not so slow as to be unusable, but certainly slow enough for me to wonder what's going on with the connection. My router is always rock solid and apart from some problems I had when I initially moved into my current house two and a half years ago, it always syncs at 8128/448 as I live about 100 yards from the exchange and the BT hole-in-the-ground for my street is in my front garden  Grin
I don't suffer from re-syncing; but the router does get periodically rebooted (maybe once a month) - for example when I rebooted it today, it showed that the WAN link had been stable for the last 20 days or so.
I'm pretty well up on how BT set your IP profile for your line, but until I did some digging today I didn't know that plusnet maintain their own IP speed profile for your line. When you do this kind of thing for a living you CBA to do it when you get home! My question is therefore, if I constantly sync at 8128, my BRAS IP profile (according to BT is 7150) is it normal for my plusnet IP profile to be some half-a-megabit lower at 6500 kbits?
Of course, this alone doesn't explain the slow downloads speeds I'm getting at the moment (Microsoft earlier today was going at a line busting 150 kbits for example) but you've got to start somewhere. Any help someone in the know could give me would be greatly appreciated.
--
tD
15 REPLIES 15
paulby
Grafter

Re: Plusnet IP Profile vs BT BRAS Profile

A BT profile of 7150 should give you a PN profile of 7150.
If one of the PN staff see this tomorrow they should be able to check things out for you and give it a nudge in the right direction!
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Also M$ downloads can be throttled at M$ end.
James
Grafter

Morning,
I'm not entirely sure why we're profiling your line at 6500Kbps as from what I can tell we haven't had a profile change from BT in a very_long_time.
I've changed it to 7150Kbps, and you should see the improvements either straight away, or after a reboot of your router.
trickyD
Dabbler

Many thanks for that - I'll give the router a kick when I get in and keep an eye on it.
--
tD

trickyD
Dabbler

Quote from: Anotherone
Also M$ downloads can be throttled at M$ end.

They can, but I suspect it's highly unlikely for them to be throttled all the way down the 150 kbits per user  Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

There are some threads around this forum where it's been worse than that at the wrong times  Shocked
randpwar
Grafter

My stats as of this morning are:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 6752 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 5500 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 4584 kbps
.But my Plusnet profile is still at 5000. I'm quite sure that I won't even notice the extra 0.5 mb but we might as well get this right. What does the Plusnet profile add to the process other than delay/stop the correct BT profile from being implemented?.........Thanks  Rob
James
Grafter

Hi Rob,
You'll need to PM me the username for the relevant account if our profile hasn't caught up now.  It normally updates twice a day.
We profile your speed as well as BT because there less packet loss across our network than theirs, so you actually get a marginally better speed when our profile is set right Smiley
randpwar
Grafter

Thanks James............PM sent................Rob
randpwar
Grafter

All sorted now.....Yet another example of excellent customer service from Plusnet via James........Thanks  Rob
trickyD
Dabbler

So... it's all been behaving itself on the broadband front since my plusnet IP profile was sync'd up to the BT one. Came in tonight and noticed things were running slow again; checked plusnet IP profile, uh oh, it's 500 kbits. Checked BT; 500 kbits as well!
My WAN link has re-synced once - just once - in the last 200 hours, and it's sitting at 8128/448 on the router as usual. SNR looks good line attentuation in single figures (9 dB down, 2 dB up - told you I was close to the exchange) so what's going on, aside from <insert typical derogatory British Telecom comment here>? BRAS'd down to 500 kbits after what appears to be one WAN reset seems a bit harsh.
As usual, all comments, no matter how outlandish, entertained if it gets my broadband up to full whack again.
--
tD
scootie
Grafter

Quote from: trickyD
<insert typical derogatory British Telecom comment here>

BT= broadband terrioists
Anotherone
Champion

@ASBO  Grin Grin
@trickyD
Hi, I was wondering how long after that resync it was when you looked at your stats. In any event with that % increase it should recover in a matter of hours (at the BT end), it might take another 12hrs for the PN one to catch up. Hopefully by the time you read this things will be back to normal.
trickyD
Dabbler

As of right now, router has been up 218 hours, last re-sync was 80 hours ago. Router sitting at its usual 8128/448. Plusnet and BT both show IP profiles of 500 kbits. Throughput from BT's speedtester is a barnstorming 170 kbits. Looks like the my BRAS profile is hosed. Damn.
Is it time for a support ticket, or do you think this could be picked up through the forums?
Edit: Should add that the re-sync 80 hours ago is the only one since the last reboot. I get occasional re-syncs, but normally my WAN uptime is the same as the router uptime.
--
tD