Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet HubOne

stevie5141
Dabbler

Plusnet HubOne

Hi All,

I've been having problems with the WiFi from my router running slow. The broadband is fine and speed check confirms this but browsing or downloading seems to stutter quite often and takes ages even to open a single webpage. One strange thing I have noticed is that when the Wifi is in use the router makes a noise which can only be described as a cross between a dial up modem and the snow storm you used to get on the TV when you didn't have signal lol.... I'm thinking the router might by bust, has anyone else experienced this and how do I go about getting an new router?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Plusnet HubOne

The noise is a well known problem with some Hub Ones. There have been reports that it improves if you switch off the 5GHz band. If it's fairly new you could ask Plusnet to replace it.

This is nothing to do with slow line speeds. For that you need to run through the standard fault finding routines.

First do a quiet line test by plugging a wired telephone into the test socket, that's the one you find if you take the front off the master socket. Dial 17070 and select Option 2. If there's noise on the line then report a PHONE fault.

If that's OK then plug your router in to the test socket via a filter. Connect the router to a computer using an Ethernet cable and do a speed test, report the results here. If they're below the speed estimate Plusnet have given you then report a fault.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

stevie5141
Dabbler

Like I say the line and actual download speed is fine, if I plug in via cable. If i'm using wireless however there is a lag. I will try turning off the 5GHz like you suggested. I've had the router since August so its fairly new.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

OK I now understand that what you are experiencing is slow speed when connected via wireless. Two things to do, if you continue to use both the 2.4 and 5GHz bands then separate them by:

Go to Advanced Settings\Wireless.

Click on 5 GHz wireless tab

Change the Sync with 2.4 GHz to No.

Add 5 to the wireless SSID so that you can tell them apart.

Having done that you can select each in turn on your wireless devices and use whichever band that is fastest.

Secondly, use a wifi 'sniffer' app (I use Wifi Analyser on an Android phone) to see if any neighbours are using the same wifi channel as you are. Check both at the router location and at each place where you use your devices. If you have strong neighbours signals using the same channel as you then again go into your router Advanced Settings and manually select the clearest channel.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Sorry to hear you're having problems with your wireless connection.

I'd recommend running through the steps advised by Baldrick1.

Let us know how you get on.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
stevie5141
Dabbler

Hi again,

I have tried doing all the things suggested and still appear to have an issue. I have also used a Wifi analyser and there is nothing else broadcasting on the same channel as me so the signal is good.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Sorry to hear that @stevie5141

You can find more advice on Wireless here with regards to positioning of the router and other causes of interference. Might be worth taking a look.

Let us know how you get on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @stevie5141

As discussed, I've arranged for a replacement router and returns bag to be sent to you in order to resolve the noisy router issue that you're experiencing.

Please let us know how you get on with the new router.

Best Wishes,

Dave

stevie5141
Dabbler

Thanks Dave, Much appreciated. Will let you know once the router has arrived.

Cheers