cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Firewall won't stay off

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Plusnet Firewall won't stay off

I'm sure I haven't missed it, but I don't remember anything being said about the current state of the Plusnet "Broadband Firewall" !
Undecided
mcoops82
Dabbler

@Anotherone: Right, sorry. I was just alluding to the part where you said to update firmware  "EVEN if they have the latest version as you don't know if they've been infected."
@purleigh: I've set the Plusnet firewall to 'High' but am still unsure how best to "disconnect and reconnect your broadband connection." On my router page I have 'Logout' or 'Reboot', or should I just power off the router for a while as I believe you suggested earlier? I won't reboot my modem as I usually would.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: mcoops82
On my router page I have 'Logout' or 'Reboot'

I would try "Logout" to see what happens.
If "Logout" keeps you within the router web interface on the same page but instead shows "Login", then wait say 30 seconds and click on "Login", which will probably reconnect you.
If "Logout" just throws you out of the router web interface back to the admin login page then that is not what we are looking for.

Try it and let us  know what happens.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Check which Gateway you are on and check your IP Address alternative What's My IP before the logout. Check again after login. If either have changed then you know it was successful.
Also, I have edited my quoted and original posts to clarify the firmware version for the benefit on any future readers.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Bob
Assuming the OP is posting from their Plusnet line then their router is acting as an open resolver...

Seems I might be guilty of a little scaremongering here (sorry!)
Using the same terminal window and the same EE connection, my own static IP is returning similar results, and I know with certainty that my circuit's not open to attack Undecided
Quote from: avatastic
I'm not getting it from my PN or work connection either.
I suspect EE is intercepting DNS requests rather than there being an open resolver.

Nope, don't think that's it because now I'm on my home network (Plusnet), the same thing happens from here. It's also the same with a Vodafone connection.
I think it's something to do with how I'm performing the lookup.
I was using Android Terminal Emulator/Busybox on a pair of Android devices, and even now, I can seemingly carry out a lookup against any IP of my choosing and I get a response! Huh
I'm probably missing something obvious or I'm overlooking a nuance of nslookup in a *nix environment. I was going to try from my Raspberry Pi but it has a problem with apt at the moment that I'm struggling to solve and I don't have the necessary packages installed.
Anyway, using a Windows command line, mcoops82's connection looks to be OK, and it's actually refusing DNS requests as others have observed:
C:\Windows\System32>nslookup google.com 31.185.xxx.xxx
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  31.185.248.237
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to UnKnown timed-out

Apologies for the confusion/giving people the run-around.
Off topic, but if anyone's an explanation around why I'm seeing what I'm seeing with the Android Terminal emulator then feel free to educate me Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I was using Android Terminal Emulator/Busybox on a pair of Android devices, and even now, I can seemingly carry out a lookup against any IP of my choosing and I get a response! Huh
I'm probably missing something obvious or I'm overlooking a nuance of nslookup in a *nix environment. I was going to try from my Raspberry Pi but it has a problem with apt at the moment that I'm struggling to solve and I don't have the necessary packages installed.

Fixed the Pi and it doesn't exhibit the same problem so colour me confused! Huh
pi@raspbmc:~$ nslookup google.com 31.185.xxx.xxx
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Anonymous
Not applicable

@'Bob Pullen' when you did the DNS tests just now, did you check whether 'mcoops82' was still on the same IP address ?,
as the connection has been restarted twice (I think) since your previous test - so could now be on a different dynamic IP address.
Having said that, if the Broadband Firewall is now set to 'HIGH', then whether the router is an open resolver or not, is likely to be masked by the firewall.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: purleigh
@'Bob Pullen' when you did the DNS tests just now, did you check whether 'mcoops82' was still on the same IP address ?

No, they had the same address around noon today though. It's kind of irrelevant though, using the Android terminal I seem to be able to get an apparent DNS response from *any* IP I try, mine included. I'm really not sure why it's behaving like that but I'll not make the same mistake again Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Chris
your firewall isn't just randomly turning on, it's being done quite deliberately by our networks team. It's likely they've spotted something untoward on your connection

@'Bob Pullen' - can you explain what are the conditions under which the Plusnet network team override the customer's 'Broadband Firewall' setting ?
What can 'mcoops82' do to identify and eliminate this "untoward" network activity ?
avatastic
Grafter

Fixed the Pi and it doesn't exhibit the same problem so colour me confused! Huh

I suspect that the Pi was using busybox before you fixed it, and this is a problem with busybox, possibly falling back to /etc/resolv.conf if it can't reach the desired server.
Do a wireshark and get back to us Wink
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Grin  Brilliant !  Grin
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I may just do this, to satisfy my curiosity. I've a packet sniffer installed on one of my Android devices so it shouldn't prove too tricky.
Edit:
@'Bob Pullen' - can you explain what are the conditions under which the Plusnet network team override the customer's 'Broadband Firewall' setting ?

I couldn't provide you an exhaustive list. Running an open resolver is one instance, however we've already ruled that out. It does seem odd that there's no human intervention. It's either an automated housekeeping process that I'm unaware of, or it's an issue at the development layer.
What can 'mcoops82' do to identify and eliminate this "untoward" network activity ?

I've escalated a ticket to our Network Operations Team to see if they can offer any clarification.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team