cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Firewall won't stay off

mcoops82
Dabbler

Plusnet Firewall won't stay off

Hey all, I'm having a pretty annoying time with Plusnet Firewall.
I don't need or want it, yet it keeps turning itself back on periodically. It's happened maybe four or five times now and usually results in extra sluggish internet speeds.
The worst part is that in order to turn it back off, I have to reset my modem, which can have the effect of dropping my IP profile. This has been a recurring nightmare for me in the past to the point where I'm scared to touch my own equipment in case my IP profile crashes and I'm stuck on dial up internet speeds for the next week until it recovers (love you BT).
Anyway, long story short the firewall had turned itself back on again today. I did a speed test which returned 2.5Mbps result. I then turned the firewall off from 'Low' setting, reset modem and did another speed test, which returned a more normal result of 5Mbps.
If it wasn't for the fact that it actually impacts my internet performance quite badly, I wouldn't care. However, I already am using Windows firewall as well as a hardware firewall on my wireless router.
Am I really the only one experiencing this issue? Plusnet tech support guys - while usually very capable - didn't have any ideas why this might be happening.
Any suggestions?
86 REPLIES 86
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Plusnet Firewall won't stay off

Quote from: mcoops82
The worst part is that in order to turn it back off, I have to reset my modem, which can have the effect of dropping my IP profile.

Why do you have to reset you modem ?,  you should only have to login to your router's web interface, click the "DISCONNECT" button to drop the PPP session (not the modem line sync which could affect IP profile), wait say ten seconds while it does what it needs to do, then click the "CONNECT" button, and that should be all that is required.

If it wasn't for the fact that it actually impacts my internet performance quite badly, I wouldn't care.

I've never seen anyone report that the Plusnet broadband firewall causes performance problems, and seems unlikely, so it will be interesting to see whether anybody else replies to this topic saying that they've seen the same performance issue.  However the fact that your broadband firewall setting keeps reverting to 'Low' does indicate something odd is going on.
Undecided
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Can you please raise a ticket on your account for me. With this, I can make changes for you. I have to say, I'm not 100% sure you will see any improvement though.
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

After changing the setting it actually tells you to do a disconnect/reconnect. It doesn't say reset/reboot the router or modem.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

If it wasn't for the fact that it actually impacts my internet performance quite badly, I wouldn't care. However, I already am using Windows firewall as well as a hardware firewall on my wireless router.
Am I really the only one experiencing this issue? Plusnet tech support guys - while usually very capable - didn't have any ideas why this might be happening.
Any suggestions?

Yes & Yes. The Plusnet Firewall should have no impact on your performance whatsoever. Something else is going on.
Are you using the TG582n? If so can you post the TG582n Full DSL stats?
Edit: And welcome to the Forum by the way.
mcoops82
Dabbler

@purleigh & jelv: I see. So all I need to do is log in to my router page and hit 'reboot'? Most changes I've ever made, or been asked to make, have usually required the modem to be restarted so I guess I just assumed that this was the same instruction. Well that's good to know, at least for the next time. Thanks.
Maybe I'm being hasty in blaming the Plusnet firewall for my speed issue today. I don't usually see drastic drops in speed unless my IP profile has been cut, although obviously I rebooted the modem after disabling the firewall so I suppose the issue could have lay elsewhere and simply been fixed with the reboot.
I'll try not to be too paranoid about the firewall setting and just keep an eye on it from time to time. However It would still be nice to have it stay disabled when I ask it to, irrespective of whether or not it's responsible for any performance issues.
@plusnettony: Thanks, I'll raise a ticket.
@Anotherone: Thank you! No I am not using that router, I am using a TP-Link TD-8817 with an Asus RT-N66U.
Anotherone
Champion

No they aren't saying log in and hit reboot. That's precisely why you are having speed problems I suspect.  Can you post the DSL stats from the TP-Link then please.
mcoops82
Dabbler

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin
:
3.5 22.0 db
Line Attenuation
:
33.0 18.5 db
Data Rate
:
7168 448 kbps
Max Rate
:
7360 1160 kbps
POWER
:
20.0 12.5 dbm
CRC
:
3419 0

Hope that's readable. My SNR normally settles to around 6db and when it does the CRC errors are generally a lot lower. Data rate is more typically around 5500-6000kbps.
jim:quote
Anotherone
Champion

Oh dear that's not so good. With that attenuation your sync speed should be nearer 7600 or better, and that low SNRM suggests you are picking up a lot of Interference which can have an impact on your speed as a result of large numbers of errors.
Can you tell us a bit about how you have your modem connected -
Do you have a Master Socket similar to the one on the left?
Do you have any extension phone sockets, and where are you currently plugged in?
Do all your Microfilters look like this?
Are you using any extension leads either between the socket and the Filter, or the Filter and the modem.
Can you hear/have you heard any crackling or other noises on the line when using the phone? Have you had any problems with incoming or outgoing calls? Try the Quiet Line Test 17070 option 2.
Can you check your Current Line speed (Login required) - don't post your phone number.
btw I'm assuming you are on a 20CN exchange from the stats and your earlier comments.
mcoops82
Dabbler

I've been told a few times by Plusnet tech support that I should be getting closer to 6.5Mbps but I don't think my speed tests have ever gone higher than about 5.2Mbps (not complaining).
I'm connected to the master socket but it's an older one that doesn't have a Test socket. Not sure exactly what it's called sorry.
We have a total of four phone sockets in the house but I'm definitely plugged in to the master socket. None of the other sockets currently have any phones connected.
I have this microfilter: http://www.adslnation.com/products/xf-1e.php
No extension leads being used.
Hard to say, I guess I occasionally notice crackling noise but it doesn't happen often. I always assumed it was an issue at the other end as most calls are crystal clear. I've had a few line tests run in the recent past by Plusnet and they've never turned up any issues. Not really any outgoing or incoming call problems that I can think of. I just tried the quiet line test and it sounds pretty much silent to me, maybe a very faint hiss on speaker but it's a cheap phone.
Current line speed is 5.5Mb. I don't think our IP profile has ever been higher than 5.5.
Yes we live out in the sticks, 20CN I believe: https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WMCOT
Thanks, by the way, for your time.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@purleigh & jelv: I see. So all I need to do is log in to my router page and hit 'reboot'?

If the router is the box that you've set the username and password in to establish the PPP session then that's OK although I would have thought you should be able to drop and reconnect the session without a full reboot.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Can you let us know what router it is you're using and the version of the firmware?
I wonder if there's something going on, with one of the ports that 'Low' blocks, which is why the Firewall keeps getting re-enabled? Would also be interested to know what DNS you're using too.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Chris
Can you let us know what router it is you're using and the version of the firmware?

I am using a TP-Link TD-8817 with an Asus RT-N66U.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Thanks. Firmware versions would be handy though, would be interested to know if they are the latest available. There were problems with DNS on some routers some time ago.
avatastic
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
I wonder if there's something going on, with one of the ports that 'Low' blocks, which is why the Firewall keeps getting re-enabled?

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but that to me suggests you've got a system in place which detects traffic on the 'Low' ports and automatically turns the firewall on?
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)