cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Fibre - BT Wholesale Error

tanzeelfarrukh

Plusnet Fibre - BT Wholesale Error

Hi Everyone,
I have recently bought plusnet fibre (actually its been 2 days) but I can't use internet. Every time I try to open a websites, BT Wholsesale page (Green page of death) comes up. I have searched this forum and found that it is problem with my DNS. To change DNS I have to telnet the router. I have tried telnet to the router (wirelessly and with lan cable) but every time it gives me an error that "..Could not open the connection on port 23...". This is really annoying. I have tried to contact plusnet, they say its not a problem with DNS and that they need 3 days to sort your problem. Life is too short to wait 3 days..
Could anyone plz temme how to change DNS settings when I am unable to telnet the router. I have checked to change the user.ini configuration file and have found following information related to Telent, any clue what needs to be done? Is there easy way to change DNS?
[ expr.ini ]
add name=telnet type=serv proto=tcp dstport=telnet
[ labelrule.ini ]
rule add chain=qos_default_labels index=16 serv=telnet log=disabled state=enabled label=Interactive
[ service.ini ]
add name="Telnet Server" mode=server
rule add name="Telnet Server" protocol=tcp portrange=23-23
[ servmgr.ini ]
ifadd name=TELNET group=lan
modify name=TELNET state=enabled natpmweight=10
mapadd name=TELNET port=telnet
8 REPLIES 8
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Plusnet Fibre - BT Wholesale Error

It won't be anything you need to change in the router - it indicates that you are not connectling correctly to Plusnet but instead to a BT Wholesale system. When you correct correctly your router will be allocated the correct DNS servers.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
tanzeelfarrukh

Thank you Jelv.
Any idea how this is going to be fixed? If this is something Plusnet has to configure at their then it should be fixed in few hours, no?  Undecided
Last I talked with Plusnet they said they would need 3 days time to check the line first and then would come back to me to see if box needs replacement.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Could you post the output from the following please
tracert 212.159.6.9
tanzeelfarrukh

212.159.6.9:
1 *  *  Request timed out
Google.com
Tracing route to www.google.com [62.6.38.125]
(same as above)
Just to mention BT Wholesale IP (Current DNS in my Technicolor box) is 62.6.38.125
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

have you tried turning the router off leave it for 30 mins or so and then turn back on.  This might solve the problem.
This solved my issue as I've that page before many times
Jamie
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
tanzeelfarrukh

Thanks Jamie.
I have tried on and off several times but no luck. I think the box is crooked or the line is. I was under impression that by changing DNS, the problem should resolve but its not so easy to change DNS.
Argument from Jelv is also right that DNS should be set right if the link is working fine. Anyway, after 3 days plusnet is going to send engineer home to check this. If I dont get it fixed by Saturday I think I will change my provider. Work from home is not possible if internet is not working.
KevinA
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Shouldn't the first hop of the trace-route be the router(gateway) even if the connection itself was down?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

This is looking a bit more fundamental. Could you post the output from the following two commands please:
ipconfig /all
ping 192.168.1.254