cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Extra Fibre

samuria
Grafter

Plusnet Extra Fibre

The new Plusnet Extra Fibre I have the 40 meg down fibre if I change accounts does an engineer have to come is it the same router and modem or is it just do at the exchange?
15 REPLIES 15
jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Plusnet Extra Fibre

If my understanding is correct you don't need an engineers visit as you already have FTTC installed
BRABUS
Grafter

If you already have FTTC with Plus Net then to get the new Fibre Extra you do not need an engineer visit nor anything doing at the exchange.  You simply request a product change and on your next billing date you will swap over to a higher download limit etc.  This will mean that you start a new 18 month contract.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

No you don't need an engineer visit and won't pay an activation fee. You're given the option of taking a Technicolor 582n router if you so desire (£4.99 p&p fee and 12 month deferred contract).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

BRABUS
Grafter

Going to this contract ties you in for 18 months so you may as well have the new router for a fiver Smiley
AxeMurderer
Grafter

As you have already got a router working with your 40Mb fibre, you don't need another one, even for a fiver! 80/20 uses the same modem and router.
leng
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
No you don't need an engineer visit and won't pay an activation fee. You're given the option of taking a Technicolor 582n router if you so desire (£4.99 p&p fee and 12 month deferred contract).

Hmmm.  If I try to do a product change it insists that I need to pay an activation fee, presumably because I currently have Plusnet Premium on a fibre connection (left over from FTTC beta).
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yes that'll be it (that and you don't have phone with us - if you did the fibre would be installed for free).
It won't be a problem as you're already on fibre, though it would be wise to get in touch and advise our support team (or let us know here and we'll update the ticket) so we can make sure the order goes through properly.
samuria
Grafter

I was on the 40 meg fibre and did the trail for the 40 meg so no ton contract I am trying to find out if just changing the product now puts me on a 18 month contract or not but the ticket reply didnt answer the question.
Also will I need to reboot on the change over to get the new speed if so will be advised when to do so?
BRABUS
Grafter

I can't advise on the reboot but if I read the FAQ section correctly then yes you will have to start an 18 month contract.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

if just changing the product now puts me on a 18 month contract

Yes, it's only the customer who were on the 80/20 trial that don't take the new contract.
Also will I need to reboot on the change over to get the new speed if so will be advised when to do so?

Possibly, on the day of the switchover it'll be worthwhile performing a single disconnect/reconnect/
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
leng
Grafter

I'm currently using a (plusnet supplied) Netgear N150 modem.  Does the technicolour offer any advantage given that I have no interest in its wireless capabilities?
Thanks
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

There is not much difference that you would notice between the two routers, if you are happy with your router then I'd suggest no need to change.
leng
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
Yes that'll be it (that and you don't have phone with us - if you did the fibre would be installed for free).
It won't be a problem as you're already on fibre, though it would be wise to get in touch and advise our support team (or let us know here and we'll update the ticket) so we can make sure the order goes through properly.

OK, I think I managed to order an upgrade from my current (fibre based) plusnet premium.  I decided to take the new modem (its always useful to have a spare if one goes AWOL).  I'm assuming the thing caught on that I already had fibre because despite threatening me with a £25 fee it did not schedule an engineer or bill me for anything except the modem delivery.  However, the products and services page shows my current service as "complete" and does not show any plusnet fibre extra on order, so I'm just a little concerned.  Or possibly scared ****less.
For my peace of mind could you please confirm that an upgrade has been ordered, and that I won't be left with a shiny new router and a dead wire.
Thanks and please excuse my nerves.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

You are scheduled to move onto Extra fibre on your next billing date which is the 2nd September.
I hope this helps.
If there's anything else please ask.
Chris