cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Essentials Broadband 10GB seems to be traffic limited

wphil
Dabbler

Plusnet Essentials Broadband 10GB seems to be traffic limited

This post is really by way of an awareness thing to other users.

I have been with Plusnet since 2008 and until few days ago was on Essentials Broadband which over the years has grown to a monthly download limit of 10GB of data.

Some years ago my download speed was about 6.5Mb/s and then it slowly climbed up to about 8Mb/s.  I am guessing this is when my exchange was upgraded, possibly to ADSL max.  Most online estimates would have my line as capable of more than 8MB/s, now I know all the issues that can affect speed and so on but I noticed that the sync speed on an old XP machine seemed to be showing about 19Mb/s.  I was suspicious my thoughput was being throttled somehow.  I did raise this with Plusnet some time ago, probably last year and was told there was nothing like this in place.

Well, I have just move to unlimited and guess what I now get almost 13MB/s which is within the estimated range of 10Mb/s to19Mb/s I got in the product change email.

So, how does one explain that?  I couldn't find any  Plusnet info to support my experience.

8 REPLIES 8
mikcav

Re: Plusnet Essentials Broadband 10GB seems to be traffic limited

If your getting 13MB/s its NOWHERE as low as 19Mb/s its actually 104Mb/s.

net speeds are the only things measured in BITS not BYTES.

MB IS MEGA BYTE   ... Mb OR mB OR mb IS MEGA BIT

there are 8 bits to a byte

to me its like giving prices in pence rather than pounds ..... truthful but very misleading

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've just checked over your line to see what was going on and there were no restrictions on your account side of things. You've started receiving higher speeds as the physical syncronisation speed between the router and the exchange has improved, which in turn increases the profile at the exchange.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Regardless of the bits/bytes the change in speed is very likely because you have moved from ADSLMax  to ADSL2+

Did you change router when you upgraded to Unlimited and did you notice any change in upstream speed

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

There was no change between ADSL and ADSL2+. The line and therefore profile was synced lower (8500) until the 15th (it had previously been around 11Mb/s profile prior to this). The sync has now improved, so the line profile has improved.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
wphil
Dabbler

Apologies for the obvious typo of 8MB/s rather than 8Mb/s, I am aware of bits vs bytes.

Thanks for the comments.

Nothing physical changed at my end, all the same equipment, router, computer, telephone.  No new mains equipment etc etc.

It's like something caused it to restart finding the best speed the line can support after being consistent for a long time, say a couple years, too long to remember.  Sorry can't remember the correct term.  Also any speed test I ever did was about the same, I've never noticed a busy period slow down.

I still find it odd that it should jump on the very day I move to 'unlimited'.

Okay, I will be happy it's improved but uneasy until this has stuck for some months as there's no known cause for the improvement.

Thanks all.

wphil
Dabbler

Opps, sorry it was the 13MB/s that should be 13Mb/s.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

I would suspect that at some time in the past there has been an issue with the line and the DLM has raised the target SNRM thereby slugging the synch speed.
The product change brought about a line reset changing the TARGET SNRM back to 6dB and thereby delivering a higher line synch speed.  A SNRM change of 3dB can be worth up to 1.2Mbps.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Looking at the DLM profile data, the line retrained about 9 times in a 24 hour period between the 13th and 15th which resulted in a higher sync rate. The drops are seen by our radius servers.

I'm not sure what could have caused that though, but happy that the speed has increased!

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet