cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Connection Monitor

Tom2notwireless
Grafter

Plusnet Connection Monitor

Perhaps PN Support can answer this, Is there a way you can see your own line stats online to see if and when and for how long you had any disconnections, not to dissimilar to the View My Usage tool that is currently available. Seeing as the View My Usage tool has info on your internet use I cannot see a problem with a simple tool to display a log of your connection stats as PN see them. It could be "View My Connection Monitor" or something like that.
Would save having to ring up and hold the line simply to ask if there had been any disconnections say during the early hours of the morning etc.. when you would not be too aware of a disconnection, would help in diagnosing any line problem if there is a pattern to a line drop etc...
(Router Stats Lite does not work with my Belkin F5D7634 Modem Router it did work with my old D-Link which recently developed a fault.)
Surely it is not beyond PN's ability to have a simple display log of how you connection is, if there had been any disconnections and for how long the line has been stable in its broadband connection, it's "Up Time".
Tom.
10 REPLIES 10
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Plusnet Connection Monitor

Tom2notwireless,
Great idea, this has cropped up before and has been raised internally. We don't have anything in the pipeline at present but this will be looked at again by us in the future. In the meantime if you have a pressing matter that means connection logs would be helpful please reply to this post and we'll get them for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Tom2notwireless
Grafter

OK thanks Adam, I look forward to anything PN might implement help on the diagnostic side of things.
As I mentioned I used to be able to keep an eye on things with Router Stats Lite and my old D-Link 2640B, but Router Stats Lite won't work with my Belkin Modem Router, so would need to contact you to find out if and when the connection dropped.
What would help me out at present is if you can give me the time of the most recent disconnection and how long was it for please.
Thanks, Tom.  Smiley
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hey Tom,
Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. The most recent disconnection was on the 15th at 23:12, so at the moment you have had an uptime of 4 days and 12 hours.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
stallan
Grafter

I've found the monitoring tool over at Thinkbroadband.com very useful.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Stallan,
Thanks for the heads up. I'm not too familiar with that to be honest, I am looking into it now.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
scootie
Grafter

do the logs in your router not give you the info you need?.
i have my zyxel router email me at 2am every morning with a full log report and also have it setup to email staright away when attacks are being logged.
it would be nice to have a PN section in the member center which held connection logs thoe
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

There are a few free services available that notify you when your connection drops (and when it comes back online). A couple of examples can be found here and here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Tom2notwireless
Grafter

Thanks for the replies and the most recent disconnection info, will look into the sites that can monitor my connection, would save on phone calls  Smiley  My Router gives me no indication of the "Up Time" unlike my old D-Link, a simple indication is all you would need on the PN site as Asbo Dog said would help if it was in the Member Centre.
Tom.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

To play devil's advocate it's worth considering that our RADIUS logs are not gospel. Due to the way the UDP packets are accounted for (or not as the case may be), they don't always show every disconnection/reconnection.
e.g. a recent intermittent connectivity problem I had on my line saw it dropping 10-20 times daily but very few of these disconnections were logged by our RADIUS servers. Some customers could consider this to be broken if we were to offer it as a tool on the portal. There'd need to be some caveat at least to explain it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

gyre
Grafter

Relatedly, i think, is there something that could show me what speed I'm actually synced at.  The BT speedtester knows.  But I can only run that every hour or so.
The reason I ask is that I'm pptp-ing from my router to my modem and don't have direct access to the router from my lan.
-- gyre --