Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Assist popup keeps appearing

drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Plusnet Assist popup keeps appearing

I've tried searching for this but not come up with a similar topic.
I don't use Plusnet Assist much - in fact I quite often run with it not running.
However it is running at present - however this popup keeps appearing on an occasional basis and manually opening the program from the task bar or the start menu produces the same thing.
I presume there's a simple answer but I'm blowed if I can work it out. Help please...
XPSP3 - installed browsers: IE8, FF26 (default), Chrome
6 REPLIES 6
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Plusnet Assist popup keeps appearing

Odd, I'm not sure what could have caused that but I'm sure uninstalling PA, then removing any remaining program files (if there are any) and a reinstall (if needed) should fix that.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
drj
Aspiring Pro

I first tried an uninstall using Plusnet Assist's own uninstall link. However I forgot to check for residual files on restart and when reloaded (from a new download) Plusnet Assist was still behaving the same.
Then I did a Nero Uninstall using the deepest uninstall method - and it found 900 residual "files and folders" once the program itself had uninstalled. So totally cleared out  I then did a Plusnet Assist reinstall - and the same errant behaviour continues.
The problematic filename in the pop-up is file:///C:/Program%20Files/Plusnet%20Assist/btbb/Start.html - could it just be that the file association for .html has disappeared off my system? (Slight problem there is that when I do an "Open with" selection in Windows Explorer, Internet Explorer is not listed as an option in the list of programs one can use...) Doesn't work still however if I paste that address into the browser address line.
drj
Aspiring Pro

Here's a properties listing of the rogue file.
Even starting up IE8 and trying to open that file produces the same pop-up  - well I thought it was the same but the "Open" button is missing...
drj
Aspiring Pro

Update - I've just opened Windows Task Manager to check how much memory Firefox is hogging (1GB) - only to find TWELVE instances of PlusnetHelpBrowser.exe running as well as PlusnetHelpNotifier.exe
Does no one have a solution to this problem?
I'm killing the program for now.
drj
Aspiring Pro

Update - the problem continues. I started the computer today after being away several days. Several popups appeared and I had to delete four instances of PlusnetHelpBrowser.exe via Task Manager.
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

If the program that is theoretically there to 'Assist' you find problems creates more problems than it solves - bin it! Grin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.