cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Assist clears all my “Allowed Sites”

sequoiak

Plusnet Assist clears all my “Allowed Sites”

I have my computer set to block cookies, except for “Allowed Sites”
This is done from Internet Options/Privacy/Default, setting both First party Cookies and Third party Cookies to “Block”.  Then after clicking the “Sites” button I add the sites I want to allow to set cookies.
Every time I open PlusNet Assist, all the Allowed Sites are deleted, except PlusNet's Domain, motive.com.
This is impossible to live with.  No other program or website causes this.  What causes it, and how do I avoid it, other than deleting PlusNet Assist from my computer?
5 REPLIES 5
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Plusnet Assist clears all my “Allowed Sites”

Plusnet Assist is BT Broadband Desktop Help in another guise.  I have seen this in action; sometimes it helps, sometimes it hinders.  It is also quite a "high maintenance" program so may tend to slow down your computer.  It would be nice if you could keep a copy on hand to install as necessary but you cannot because the installation process requires a working internet connection!!!  If you are expert enough to work out whether your internet problem lies in the connection between your computer and your router or between your router and the internet then I doubt you need Plusnet Assist and could uninstall it.  If such issues are a mystery to you then you might benefit.         
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Thanks for the heads up.
I installed it as one of the triallists and then removed it.
I use Firefox so I didn't spot it but this is what it changed the cookie settings to in Internet Explorer
Allow cookies from Motive.com and blocked the rest including plus.net - this is not acceptable it should be changing those settings at all.
I don't use IE for internet banking or shopping but did the banking site cookies and shopping site cookies also get blocked
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Plusnet Assist does seem to help some users but for someone sufficiently knowledgeable to manage cookie policies and routinely use their computer from different locations including mobile (another thread) I doubt it is needed (or effective). My suggestion is to solve the problem by uninstalling it.
If you choose to uninstall and that proves to be troublesome it might be necessary to stop Plusnet Assist tasks using Task Manager -  post back here if help is needed.
David
David
petejackson
Grafter

Quote from: sequoiak
Every time I open PlusNet Assist, all the Allowed Sites are deleted, except PlusNet's Domain, motive.com.

Thanks for flagging this Sequoiak. This is unexpected behaviour.  I have replicated and will raise this with the software developers.  If this is causing concern of course you can uninstall.. Use of Plusnet Assist is entirely optional. Whilst we've tried very hard to make it suitable for everyone, there may be situations where it's not.  Your feedback will help us identify these and make the software better.
Pentris
Dabbler

I had severe issues with Plusnet Assist. I have a Windows 7 PC, 32bit, and use IE9. After installing the 'assist' programme I found the following two issues which could not be cured without uninstalling the 'assist' programme.
1. Logitech Setpoint software would no longer load and keep running which meant I lost most ancillary keyboard buttons and mouse functions such as back and forward buttons. Pretty useless trying to browse the web. If it was manually run then every access to IE9 shut it down again.
2. It refused to allow NTI Shadow backup software to keep running.
For me it was an unusable programme, a shame as it looked in the blurb that it would be of use in times of trouble.