Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet Assist - E-mail Setup

PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Plusnet Assist - E-mail Setup

Not sure if this is the correct subject area for this or perhaps we need a new directory for Plusnet Assist  Roll_eyes
I had a panic attack over the weekend because a big chunk of e-mails had disappeared.
I think I have discovered the reason  Cool
But I think it was down to Plusnet Assist and i will go through the symptoms and what I found
All the missing e-mails were Plusnet not on any of my other hostings.
They were missing on my IPod Touch and Laptop running Windows Live Mail but they were present in Outlook on my desktop running XP ( I found them this morning as I tend not to use tjhe desktop at weekends).
I have Plusnet assist running on the XP and it has been reporting an e-mail "problem" although I have been running Outlook for months with Plusnet and years for other e-mail addresses hosted by other sites wtihout any problems.  Undecided
So I let Plusnet Assist have its way hoping it would tell me something I didn't know about my configuration, possibly a tweak to improve performance  Roll_eyes
It set up the software in the POP version of e-mail rather than IMAP (which it tells you in the programme) which suits me. But it reset my setting where I had left an instruction to not delete e-mails after download but to keep them on the server for 10 days.
My issues  Huh
Do the cognoscenti agree with my analysis?  Does Plusnet Assist only have the one vanilla setting for e-mail and describes all others as faults which are actually options?
I would like Plusnet Assist to tell me of changes like this preferably before they are implemented.
I consider myself to be a middle knowledge medium scale user which should be the target audience for Plusnet Assist. If it is targeted at the new unskilled user requiring the vanilla options then it will have to be uninstalled.
I have tried to uninstall Plusnet Assist from my laptop and found problems, cant get rid of it, its like a virus. Persistant little begger  Grin
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
9 REPLIES 9
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Plusnet Assist - E-mail Setup

your analysis is about correct, it has removed the PN mail off the server and dumped them on your XP
lucky me = free-0nline  Cant have PN assist
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: PeterLoftus
I consider myself to be a middle knowledge medium scale user which should be the target audience for Plusnet Assist. If it is targeted at the new unskilled user requiring the vanilla options then it will have to be uninstalled.
I have tried to uninstall Plusnet Assist from my laptop and found problems, cant get rid of it, its like a virus. Persistant little begger  Grin

You've probably failed the first test for a target user - you visit forums. Tongue
What happens if you try to uninstall it - does the uninstall wizard stick with very little progress showing on the progress strip? If this is the case, if you go into Task Manager and kill Plusnet Assist processes (I had to do two) the uninstall process bursts into life and completes removal.
David
David
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Peter,
The default setting is to not leave a copy on the server. We've tried to include as much information as possible in the FAQ and will be adding any questions we come across that weren't included originally. There is no way to configure your own settings. Some interesting points you raise there though. It's much appreciated, all the investigating you've done as it really gives us great feedback as to real user experience.
Jojo Smiley
PeterLoftus
Pro

Maybe you should have issued it as a Beta and let the users debug it for you  Roll_eyes
Oh ah............ (penny drops)  Cheesy
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Hi,
Does Peter's and others experience with Plusnet Assist mean that novices like me stay clear of downloading and installing it at present?
Regards,
Chandu.
PeterLoftus
Pro

Today my XP desktop locked up when I checked Windows Task Manager I  found Plusnet Assist was grabbing 98% of the CPU activity and outlook was not responding. So I killed PA. Then a programme called DWWin.exe grabbed 98% and still outlook was not responding. Sad
I had to reboot to get contol of my PC  Angry
What's happening?  Undecided
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi PeterLoftus,
Not sure why your system locks up like that, but it does happen with many things on occasion. DWWin.exe is Dr.Watson. If you think Plusnet Assist is causing issues then it might be worth uninstalling it.
Jojo Smiley
PeterLoftus
Pro

JoJo
see thread below, I want Plusnet assist, I think its a brilliant idea I particularly like the My network function which MS missed off XP! Cheesy
Quote from: Joanne
Hi PeterLoftus,
Not sure why your system locks up like that, but it does happen with many things on occasion. DWWin.exe is Dr.Watson. If you think Plusnet Assist is causing issues then it might be worth uninstalling it.
Jojo Smiley

I also think with the problems I am seeing it should have been released as a Beta version as MS are prone to do  Wink
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: PeterLoftus
I also think with the problems I am seeing it should have been released as a Beta version as MS are prone to do  Wink

I know you seem to have come across a few problems but in the main they're not ones that others have reported yet. This is fundamentally the same version used by over 2 million BT customers.
Jojo Smiley