cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet with BT Home Hub?

dsilva

PlusNet with BT Home Hub?

Does anyone know if it is possible for a user with BT and a Home Hub to switch broadband provider to PlusNet and continue using the Home Hub as the router?  Or is a BT Home Hub tied to BT?
Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
Assos
Grafter

Re: PlusNet with BT Home Hub?

AFAIK the home hub is tied to BT. PlusNet are working on getting a version of it for their customers at present but it isn't likely to be available until well into the new year unfortunately. IIRC one of the sticking points is the amount of dev work that needs to be done to make it work with plusnet's systems (BT don't require a username / password whereas PN do).
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

This http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/t22917.html makes interesting reading regarding unlocking the Home Hub from BT

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

James
Grafter

Hi there,
The BT Home Hub is currently tied to only users of BT.  It's locked to only allow the BT realm names.  We're currently in talks with BT to get a patched version, which will allow our users to be able to connect.
There'll be more news about this in the new year.
Ianwild
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
Hi there,
The BT Home Hub is currently tied to only users of BT.  It's locked to only allow the BT realm names.  We're currently in talks with BT to get a patched version, which will allow our users to be able to connect.
There'll be more news about this in the new year.

Actually, the last remote firmware update BT rolled out hub, I believe, included the code to make all hubs work on the PlusNet network. There can only ever be one version for everyone, however the things you can't change are stuff like the Voip settings (yet, at least!).
I'm not 100% on this myself as I have never tested a hub, but if you have a way of trying it, as I say, I think it should work.
Ian
itsme
Grafter

How do you upgrade the firmware through a PN connection?
Ianwild
Grafter

The firmware upgrades are handled by BT's TR-69 platform. It makes no odds whether you are on a BT or a PlusNet connection - updates should still come down automatically.
This is all however completely untested (Except by Dave T, who is currently on holiday so I am unable to tap him for details).
Ian
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

If you are technically minded I do believe it is possible to set up the Voip side of the Home Hub. Have a browse here : http://www.homehubhacks.co.uk/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

a18041967

Ian,
You mentioned that the last update from BT may have included support for Plus.Net.
Has this been confirmed, ideally I'd prefer not to hack my Home Hub if the BT update allows access to Plus.Net