cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet throttling FTP downloads to 30KBps?

tuxguy

PlusNet throttling FTP downloads to 30KBps?

Hi,
I think that PlusNet are unnecessarily limiting my ftp downloads to 30KBps. I get much higher speed downloads over http (around 120KBps+).
This bothers me a lot because I've just switched linux distro and a lot of the packages are served over ftp. I've asked
a friend on different isp to download these packages and they are able to achieve much higher speeds (e.g. 200KBps),
so I don't think this is a limitation on the servers I am downloading from. Could anyone from PlusNet explain this?
I am downloading these files during the day on 11/10/08, so I wouldn't think that there would be major congestion at
that time.
4 REPLIES 4
paulby
Grafter

Re: PlusNet throttling FTP downloads to 30KBps?

It shouldn't be throttled to 30kbps.  You can see what the expected speeds for FTP on your product are on this page. (If you download overnight it should come down at line rate on all products.)
Is it possible that you've gone over your allowance for the month?
(I don't work for PN so can't comment on your individual line)
Edit: corrected typo
tuxguy

Well I did go over in the last hour of the last billing month. However the meter now shows me as being in the first gig of my allowence, so I should be alright I guess. As I say my http downloads are much faster.
Hmm... just looking at the speeds for BBYW option 2. Indeed it seems that, right now my "external FTP" should be limited to 256kbps.... which is roughly 30KBps. That would explain the problem then!  Undecided
tuxguy

btw, thanks Paul  Smiley
paulby
Grafter

No problem - looks like I misread your speed though - (30kbps instead of 30KBps!)