Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet-supplied routers and TR69

mwerle
Grafter

PlusNet-supplied routers and TR69

Hello,
The router that was shipped out to me for my new FTTC connection had various TR69 settings (usernames and passwords) - it appears it can both pull configuration settings as well as push information to PlusNet.
I've since disabled TR69 support in my Member Center since I wasn't sure whether that was interfering with setting up my new (non-PN-supplied) router, despite the fact that I don't know the PN TR69 settings to put into the router so I'm guessing it wouldn't have successfully pushed any settings anyway.
Out of curiosity I was wondering exactly what information PlusNet can retrieve / modify?  Particularly what about Wireless, VPN, and VOIP settings (ie, usernames and passwords)?
Apologies if this was already covered somewhere; I couldn't find anything via the forum search.
Cheers,
- Micha.
5 REPLIES 5
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: PlusNet-supplied routers and TR69

Hi mwerle,
TR069 doesn't work on non-Plusnet routers. When it comes to modifying anything we mainly use it for firmware upgrades. You can find a bit more about TR069 here.
Jojo Smiley
mwerle
Grafter

Thanks for your reply, Jojo,  but I politely beg to differ as my new router also has TR69 support.  So theoretically it could be made to work - I realise it won't work 'out of the box'. But it's hardly proprietary tech only available to PlusNet 🙂
I had also already read that link you posted.  On security, it just mentions that any data transferred is protected between the router and the PlusNet servers, which is good to hear, of course, but it doesn't mention -what- data can be accessed.
You say it's 'mainly firmware upgrades' - what else?  From other forum posts, it appears that PlusNet (at least sometimes) pushes login information to the router, so does that mean that the protocol potentially can access all of the router settings?
Thanks,
- Micha.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Micha,
TR069 has the potential to be used for a lot more, but we use it now for auto-provisioning and firmware upgrades, in the future we may also use it for fault diagnostics and delivering IPv6 firmware. A bit more information about it's potential is available here on Wikipedia
Jojo Smiley
mwerle
Grafter

Hi Jojo,
Thanks for that - sounds like it's early days yet using this technology.  I just got curious after seeing it in the PlusNet-supplied NetGear router and then again in my own new router.
I had already read the Wikipedia article as well but again it was at a very high level without specifically saying which parts of a router can be accessed/modified and which parts remain private.  I shall assume that potentially everything can be accessed then.  Moving on, I would hope that people can specify what information can be accessed remotely, and what information remains private.
For example, I'd have no issues providing a PlusNet engineer with access to the WAN account information and line statistics.  However, I would not be keen at all to expose VPN settings.
Thanks!
- Micha.
PS.  Off-topic, but you mentioned IPv6 Smiley  I've been following the IPv6 trial threads but nobody has mentioned a rollout date yet - any hints?  My router is fully IPv6 capable... so I'm pretty keen to get playing with non-tunnelled IPv6..
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Micha,
There's no date for IPv6 yet but I can add you to the trial. I'll PM you the details.
Jojo Smiley