Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet legacy deal and adsl2+

FIXED
flinflon
Dabbler

Re: PlusNet legacy deal and adsl2+

You're right the 24th is a couple of weeks so time enough. At the junction of Camden and St John's is a Greene King pub, The Rifleman. Perhaps I should sit there and wait for the work to start!

But seriously, I don't  absolutely need access to fibre broadband, all I need is a speed of at least 4Mbps so that I can download such things as updates to my TomTom  satnav and the occasional bbc offering within a reasonable time (ie not all night).

flinflon
Dabbler

Townman thanks for your detailed post.

I shall now leave the internet on 24 hrs a day. When can I expect the speed to pickup, after a week, a month, or is this a very long process? I should add, that I turn off my PC when not using it, therefore I will not have a complete RouterStats graph history. 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

So that you can get a good view of your line’s performance can you please leave router stats (your pc) running for 5 days (24x7)?

If PlusNET have done a full line reset it will train for 10 day’s to try to establish the optimal synch speed. During this time I would anticipate seeing a few line drops. Having RS running to monitor this would be useful.

If there is intermittent interference it is essential if you seek to fully optimise the line.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

flinflon
Dabbler

OK I shall leave router stats on for a few days. The only interruptions so far have been when I turn wifi on or off. I don't like leaving it on in case some eavesdropper is nearby. There are flats close by with transient population especially at weekends.

Will PlusNet do a full reset automatically or do I have to make a specific request by email/phone? 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Will PlusNet do a full reset automatically or do I have to make a specific request by email/phone? 

The banding should be removed automatically, but we can put it through manually too.

With that said, your connection is still dropping heavily:

Testing your line at 3:10 when there was no active connection, showed your router in sync to the exchange still which indicates that your router was switched on but it seems that the drops we're seeing are due to a problem somewhere.

I'd recommend plugging your router into the test socket if you have one, and trying a different router if you can.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

It is apparent that the router is still getting switched off and not left on.

@Gandalf - would you know if the PlusNET routers maintain PPP in the absence of traffic (demand) ... or if the PC is turned off, do they drop PPP whilst maintaining synch?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No, the router should maintain PPP unless it’s turned off or disconnected from the phone socket.
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

@flinflon wrote:

My router is an old NetGear N150 wireless adsl2+ modem router (DGN1000-100UKS)

Or since it's not a Plusnet issued device, it could merely be configured with some sort of idle timeout for the PPP connection, so that it disconnects the PPP connection if no data has been sent over it for a certain time.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@ejs,

Thanks for reviewing the details - I am accessing on the phone - back reading is not so comfortable on the smaller format. Should have done so properly!!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Either way I personally don’t think turning the router off once or twice a day will cause DLM to intervene. More likely to decrease the longevity of the router, possibly causing the intermittent connection we’re seeing. Sad
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Something to check: In your router configuration where the Plusnet user name and password are set there may be an option for "Connection mode" - this should be set to "Always On".

See https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Broadband-How-to-disable-the-idle-timeout-on-Netgear-rout...

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
flinflon
Dabbler

As of last night (13Nov) I'm using test socket

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It looks like your connection is still dropping a lot.

It may be worth checking this:

Something to check: In your router configuration where the Plusnet user name and password are set there may be an option for "Connection mode" - this should be set to "Always On".

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
flinflon
Dabbler

On the basic settings page of the DGN1000 setup I have changed "idle timeout"  from default 5 mins to 0 min. I cannot find a "connection mode" box for "always on".

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sweet, we'll see if your connection remains stable.

If it does I'll reset the line for you. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet