Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet legacy deal and adsl2+

FIXED
flinflon
Dabbler

PlusNet legacy deal and adsl2+

I'm on an old plusnet deal - PlusNet Value I think. My download speed is max 1.8Mbps approx. I've been told by my neighbour that his download speed is 7Mbps (BT package). He suggested that I should make sure I'm on adsl2+ and not adsl1. My local exchange supports 21cn. FYI, my street cannot get fibre broadband although all nearby streets get very fast fibre (70Mbps).

My question is  can I get adsl2+ on my current plan and if so how do I go about getting this?

37 REPLIES 37
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: PlusNet legacy deal and adsl2+

Usually on request Plusnet just do an upgrade ... assuming of course that BTw have capacity in the exchange.

What are the expectations for your line?

Please use the following links to check the services available and their estimated speeds. From the first link, please record and report back the distance from the exchange. The second link advises of which fibre services (if any) are available on your line and their anticipated speed.

Are you sure that you are on 20CN and that its not something else that's making the difference?  To be getting 1.8mbps on 20CN with there being no other degrading factor, you'd have to be on a 64dB attenuated line (approx. 4.5km from the exchange) - such a line would only deliver 1.9mbps using 21CN.  I suspect that there is something else a foot here.

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.

How is your line performing?

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

You can try the DSL Checker to see what it says is available - post an image of the results if you can. Make sure you don't shown your phone number but if you could state your Exchange and cabinet number that might help.http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Brian

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

I've checked your line and you're already on ADSL2+ but your line is banded which is why your speeds are low.

In addition I've tried to test your line but it looks like you turn the router off when your not using it?

image15102307741693

We'd need the router turned on so we can test your line.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
flinflon
Dabbler

I do as a matter of routine turn off the modem when I'm not using internet and when I'm away from home. I didn't realise that this upsets the exchange. I shall leave the internet on for a few days at least until I'm next away from home.

As requested by forum members kind enough to look into my particular adsl problem.

Details from Kitz Broadband Availability

Exchange: Sevenoaks BT Code: NDSEV Cabinet  26 
Distance:- Direct:    1.79 km
  (appx)* By Road: 2.1 km
  Status  
 ADSL enabled: March 31, 2000
 DSL Max enabled:  March 31, 2006
 21CN WBC (ADSL2+) Enabled
 21CN due : (PSTN) Info N/A 
 FTTC  Not available
 SDSL enabled : Enabled
Broadband Access Market  Broadband Access† Market 3
BT price band BTw Pricing Band  Band A

My router is an old NetGear N150 wireless adsl2+ modem router (DGN1000-100UKS)

Just done quiet line test all seems, well, quiet!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@flinflon,

Switching the router off and on is really not helpful - it makes the exchange think that there is a problem with your line and starts to apply aggressive management to attain stability.

Also looking at the bits of the VR plot shown, there are a lot of disconnections happening a lot of the time.  Is that you repeatedly restarting the router in an attempt to improve the connection?  If yeas, again, this is something which is very unhelpful when trying to get the best out of the line.

I would recommend leaving the router switched on all of the time (even when away) so that the exchange does not seek to manage apparent instability.  My line is not as good as yours (attenuation 50.5dB) but delivers 5.3mbps synch - at the moment it has been "up" for 61 days.

Obtaining detailed logging of what is happening on the line would be useful.  Thank you for identifying the router - RouterStats-Lite (see link below) works with your router - I suggest that you download the program, set it up and keep logging 24x7 and is the SNRM looks messy, post some graphs here for us to look at.  There is some possibility that the massive number of disconnections could be caused by some local electrical interference.  The routerstats plots will give insight to that possibility.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero

@flinflon

Thanks for the Exchange information. I use the CodeLook website to see what info's available about an Exchange. While it's not 100% accurate and usually behind the times it can be useful.

https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm

While not helpful to your current situation CodeLook is showing the following status for Cab P26 on Sevenoaks, Kent

FTTC doing Field Survey, live due by July 2018  - it has several post codes associated with it but lists TN133NA first

While there is light at the end of the tunnel the "live date" should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Brian

flinflon
Dabbler

Thanks for the web link.

Yes, I agree live date is to be taken with a large pinch of salt. For the past 3 years we have been given various dates. Recently we were told 31 Dec 17 now it seems that has slipped yet again. Field Survey is PR speak for we'll get round to it some time. 

flinflon
Dabbler

Thanks, I have now downloaded and installed RouterStats Lite as suggested. I have to say I wasn't aware that turning the modem/router off when not in use degraded the service. From now, I shall leave it on and await improved speeds.

bmc
Hero

Have you tried the OpenReach site

https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/index.do

Picking a post code and address at random it gave a status of "Build" which is one step forward from "Doing Field Survey" - this will be more up to date than CodeLook.

Brian

flinflon
Dabbler

Thanks for OpenReach website link.

I entered my full phone number and it would appear that fibre status has moved from Field Survey to Build. However there is no expected date of completion shown. I'm hopeful that progress given on website is actual progress and not some stalling tactic.

bmc
Hero

It should mean actual work has started / planned. However, just because the Field Survey indicates that the plan is feasible doesn't mean to say they won't hit problems when they start digging / cable laying. A bunch of approx. 60 Exchange Only lines near me had a new cabinet installed to give them FTTC. It was about a year late going live from when OR first indicated and then had a major problem with some of the re-engineered lines which was going to take 3 months to fix.

One thing you could look for is any planned road works in the area sponsored by OR. This might indicate the cabinet going in or power supply work for it. Don't have any web links for England (I could give you a Scottish link but that I suspect wouldn't cover your area).

Brian

bmc
Hero

OK - a quick search for Kent road works brought up a site. Filtering for a couple of months ahead shows multiple works by OR between 24/11 & 05/12 around Camden Rd & St John's Road.

Narrative has "STREET CABINET & POWER INSTALLATION. Excavate to lay approx 20m BT ducts, Lay concrete plinth, Stand cab. Excavate to expose low voltage cable for Power Connection and lay approx 2m duct. POWER engineer to carry out inspection prior to jointing. POWER jointing team to insert cable and execute jointing works. Reinstate, Check and clear site. FW/CW"

https://www.kent.gov.uk/roads-and-travel/travelling-around-kent/roadworks

Brian

flinflon
Dabbler

Well, well, I live very close to this road junction Camden and St John's. I shall take a look over the weekend.

bmc
Hero

@flinflon

I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry - the road works don't start until the 24th!!!

There do appear to be two separate sets of work, both indicating the use of temporary traffic lights - one on St John's Rd and one on Camden Rd. However, from the location description give I would suspect one set is on St John's up to Camden Rd and then the second set is at the corner.

If so, then the new cabinet is going in very close to the corner of the two streets.

Brian

Edit : A FTTC cabinet is "paired" with an original phone cabinet and must be within 100m. If you find your phone cabinet it might well have 26 stencilled on it.