cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PlusNet is NOW faster than TalkTalk for me (was PlusNet Slower than TalkTalk )

DDNewCust
Grafter

Re: PlusNet Slower than TalkTalk for me :(

The PlusNet line has been steady and faster than TalkTalk'sSmiley 
I do hope it stays that way.
A big thanks guys for all your help getting me to this point.
So I thought I would report a little info on the change in routers. Bits plots for both router attached, old one just before the swap new one a little while after as I had trouble getting RouterStats to work with it. I'll let you play spot the difference.
You can clearly see the new one has better processing higher bits in the top end tones and this has a marked improvement in the Max rate. up +8% and down +11%. Connection rates up +8%, down +7%, probably slightly less down due to the increased error correction overheads in the data stream.
DG834v2 Old router Profile 13.2Mbs
                              Down                    Up
Connection Rate:  14974  Kbps      1102  Kbps
Line Attenuation:    28    dB              17    dB
Noise Margin:          3      dB                5    dB
Max Rate:            16016  Kbps          1104  Kbps
DGN2200v3 New one Firmware Version 1.1.00.24 (latest) Profile 14.1Mbs
                                Down                  Up
Connection Rate:  16089 Kbps        1192  Kbps
Line Attenuation:    30.0  dB            17.0  dB
Noise Margin:          3.1  dB              6.0  dB
Max Rate:              17792 Kbps        1200  Kbps
I am kind of hoping it may get a bit faster after a few days... Smiley
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

If all the improvements to the wiring, new router etc. had been done while you were on TalkTalk, then the speed you had with them would very likely have been better and could well have been similar to what you are getting now.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

As I won't be encouraging Dave to move back to TalkTalk, then that will most likely be a bit of speculation Wink
Dave, if you want you can request the mods alter to title of the thread to reflect the improved situation eg. -
"Plusnet was Slower than TalkTalk for me Wink "
DDNewCust
Grafter

PlusNet Faster than TalkTalk for me now!
Thanks for suggestion AO, but I would rather leave the title as is. What I intend to do is create a summary of the changes made in a post reply near the end. Then go and edit in a link back to that new reply on my original post. Adding the PlusNet Faster than TalkTalk for me now! in.
As for ejs comment, understand that would be the case.  I believe the speeds would now be very close if I could get them to lower the SNRM to 3db. There doesn't seem to be much more I can get out of my line with out taking out some MW radio stations Wink or moving to fibre (which isn't in the budget).
I tend to swap energy providers every couple of years to the near cheapest.  I don't see Broadband and Phone lines being any different, now the issues are fixed / understood and switches are easier than they used to be. Being on a low income, now, which was why I moved in the first place, I suspect that a swap or match situation will come into play in 10 months time, when my fix ends.
Having said that I do like the way PlusNet web interface operates and the way this forum works, so it would need to be reasonably worth while swapping back.
DDNewCust
Grafter

Lets be clear the title is no longer the case for me but was in Dec 2014.
Cool PlusNet is NOW faster than TalkTalk for me and more stable  Cool
In the past I had around 10 to 11Mbs downloads with TalkTalk at best (but not consistently). Just before I switched from TalkTalk to PlusNet I had downloads speeds of around 9Mbs with TalkTalk (Dec 2104). With PlusNet I now have 13.3Mbs downloads consistently and a much more stable line.
For those reading the forum wondering what has happened to get the better download rates and a stable line here is a summary of my actions, the more important ones are in bold.
1) Removed noisy LED Lamp with rubbish China PSU. REIN testing found this. This was the BIG one for me.
2) Removed another noisy PSU away from Router mains connection. Monitoring router SNR margin found this.
3) Removed bell wires in phone extensions, leaving just Pin 2 and 5.
4) Removed unwanted resistor in one of the extensions. Spotted in a posted photo by a forum member.
5) Replaced all extension filters with rat tail type, not sure this was required but I had them in router boxes anyway.
6) Tidied wiring around the router keeping cables away from each other.
7) Had PlusNet Reset the SNR limits at the exchange. Another BIG one without this the DLM may never have improved the line.
8 ) Stop turning the router off and back on, when I got frustrated with the line performance. Another BIG one. This worked on TalkTalk but does not work on PlusNet / BT line. So don't do this, without first disconnecting PPP using the router and waiting 1 min then power off and don't repower router for around 10min.
9) Christmas went away and loads of people up the road packed away their lights and went back to work! Probably had some effect me thinks.
10) Added (2015-01-19) Mrk3 vDSL Plate to master socket, this improved modem sync speed by around 1Mbs (DG834v2) and made a difference to the download speed after PlusNet reset the profile. Another BIG one, recommended on these forums.
11) Changed the router to a better one from DG834v2 to DGN2200v3 latest firmware, this improved the speeds by around 1Mbs download. I would imagine that the PlusNet TG582n router would have similar performance as the DGN2200v3 as it has a similar processor, but no evidence to back this up.
If you have made improvements to your set-up, another important thing to do is the BT Wholesale test (further testing bit), this after a few days, or hours sometimes, will reset your profile to a higher level, if you have seen an improvement reported there.
Hope this summary helps someone.
A big thanks to the forum members here that helped me get this situation sorted.
Edit 2015-02-02 changed earth to bell in comment 3)
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Dave, can you edit your point 3) above. It's not "earth" wires it's "bell" wires  Wink
DDNewCust
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
Dave, can you edit your point 3) above. It's not "earth" wires it's "bell" wires  Wink

Done the "earth" to "bell" editl.  Embarrassed  Thanks for that.
I can't edit the original post to add in a link back to my posts 2 below.  I want to add something like this near the top of the post...... "Please see post here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,135190.msg1196601.html#msg1196601 for information on how I made it faster ....  PlusNet is NOW faster than TalkTalk for me and more stable